Chapter 24

Song: So Cold By Benjamin

Oh...you can't hear my cry. See my dreams all die. From where you're standing on your own.

The next morning as I got out of the shower and changed into a pair of clean jeans and a burgundy shirt with long sleeves to hide the marks on my wrists, I noticed a figure sitting on my bed, playing with a phone in his hand. It was Henry, that annoying smirk of his glued to his lips. He stood up as I walked into the room and handed me the device.

"Here. Take this one. Your old phone had been disposed of," he informed me.

"Why would you do that?" I asked, growing slightly irritated. How dare he just take my things without my permission.

"Remember what I told you yesterday..."

With a defeated scowl, I took the phone from his hands. I didn't want his new one. I wanted my old phone back. Though it was outdated and I would receive second glances when using it, it was reliable. That in itself was enough for me.

With a satisfied grin, he left me to myself. But before he reached the door, he effortlessly turned on his heel.

"There's a gala tonight at 7. I booked an appointment for you. With Cynthia, do you remember her?" he asked and I nodded. "I'll have Larry pick you up at half past three."

And with that he left.

I took a brief moment to navigate through my phone to make sure all of my contacts were still in there. They were, surprisingly. Probably because Henry knew I wouldn't call them to tell them anything.

I went downstairs, hoping to find Nana in the kitchen. And she was, luckily. At least there was one good thing under this roof. I quietly approached her and wrapped my arms around her waist from behind.

"Oh, hello, dear!" She exclaimed. "I didn't hear you two come in yesterday."

"I missed you," I told her. It hasn't even been a week since I last saw her, and I already miss so many people.

"Aww, I missed you too."

I released her and watched as she turned around. A smile naturally formed on my lips as she gently rested her overworked palm on my cheek.

"I didn't expect you two to be back so soon."

"Henry had some emergency meetings," I lied. "You know him, always working."

"Yes, yes. But he should put his wife before work."

"It was fun, Nana. I promise. Being by the ocean, it was beautiful and relaxing."

"I'm happy you had a good time," she smiled. But as she studied my face, confusion etched on her features. "You were by the beach, so why did you get paler?"

"What are you ladies talking about?" Henry came in just in time. He always had exquisite timing.

"I was just asking Ally how your honeymoon went," she answered.