Task 1: "Psycho"

"Brimley City Carnival", the sign says as it sways back and forth in the comfortable breeze passing by over my head. I'm standing by the gate, looking in as I contemplate on taking the first step or not. I end up doing it, not really noticing anything particular about the place. It's a typical carnival that's become outdated: old, worn-down, squeaky, not to mention rusty as the air sneaks its way through every hole it can find. It is in other words, the perfect scenery for a horror-movie.

When I came to the city, people at school and my foster-family at home, could tell me stories about this place. It used to be so glorious. The light bulbs above my head would shine in all different kinds of colors, the Paris-wheel would go around and around, and the jocks would always try to win the big stuffed animal for their cheerleader-girlfriends. I even heard there was a Hall of Mirrors. I could imagine enjoying that one, especially if I placed some of the bitches from school in there and had them get lost. They would freak out so bad it'd be pure entertainment.

Towards the end of its days, they said it lost its charm. I don't even know what that means, but it's all fallen apart. It's just faded into a part of the landscape that nobody ever touches anymore. From a carnival of fun, it's become a carnival of the past. Some people, kids at school, have been as radical to say that it's being haunted. I never remember the details of their stories because they are all so messed up, but one thing that kept coming back from them all was how a person's soul was haunting this place. Right, as if.

I'm not all surprised that this is the sort of place that would attract Jess to challenge me on my secret. She obviously doesn't know any better than to do what she does: learn secrets from people and then tear them down. She likes playing these games. People believe her every word and swallow it whole. I'm not gonna lie, she's got my attention now, but I do wonder what kind of secret lurks around in her home. I'm sure if I was asked, I'd find more than one thing. Everybody has just been too preoccupied with their own stuff.

I've taken a few steps past the sign. I turn my head to the right, and then to the left. On my left I spot one of these 'win-an-award'-booths or whatever. I climb on top of it to get a good view. There's some kind of stage set up further in I notice. I could just sit here and see if she finds me. I'm guessing she actually wants to see me face to face, and actually not lose her voice. Everything to please Jessica Glenn I guess.

As much as I despise her for sticking her nose where it doesn't belong, I do it too. I don't listen in on conversations and use it as leverage later, though it's oh so tempting sometimes. I mainly do it to see how far I can go. The actual process of figuring out where to stand or sit, listen to every word they say, and all of a sudden having to run for my life. It's the same over and over, I never really learn, but I never get tired of it. If it was too easy, I'd get bored.

That just goes to show you that Jess isn't the only one who can tell a secret about people at school. I know more than a couple that I could just blurt out if I wanted to. The thing with me is I have something called integrity. I don't even know if Jess knows what that word even means.

The scenery around the carnival is growing darker for every second that passes by. The typical horror-movie scenery with an abandoned carnival, a teenager lured into it, the squeaky sounds of the rusty machines and the wind howling through every fabric. It's all coming together for those that enjoy these kinds of things. For those that scare easily, they're going to have to see the wizard and ask for some guts.

After a moment of watching the landscape ahead, I notice that I'm not the only one with a dark, twisty secret. One person after the other is lurking their way past the gates, skeptical of their surroundings. Jess certainly has caught the attention of a bunch. It's their fault really. It's all been due to their idiocy. I'm not an idiot myself. I haven't done anything as scandalous as cheating on a boyfriend, written embarrassing love-letters, gotten any medical diagnosis that may very well change my life or driven a person to the point where she committed suicide...