Our Father Who Art In Heaven

Days past by, not a single sign of Sophia. Not a single piece of evidence, not a footprint, nothing. Daryl and I conducted a search last night, our only discovery being the unfortunate soul with a noose around his neck dangling from a tree. One positive outcome was furthering my knowledge about Daryl. He survived in the woods alone, no one caring that he was missing. 

Today Rick gathers the group for our next search. We chooses on heading west, a direction we hadn't tried yet. Venturing in the woods, sunlight cracks through some of the branches. Daryl tracks for footsteps ahead of me. He seems pretty damn good at that. The summer heat starts taking it's toll as my hair clings to my sweat-soaked face.

"Hey." I look back to see Shane. His hand is extended, holding a canteen. I press it against my lips, the cool water moistening my once dry mouth. "Thanks." I say handing it back. "Keep it." He nudges my arm smirking. I sling the strap over my shoulder, letting it hang at my side.

I can feel the stare of Shane's eyes behind me. I can just sense it. Kinda like he's examining me. Feeling uncomfortable, I jog up besides Daryl. "Sofia!" He yells aloud. His accent making it quite difficult to make out what he's exactly saying. "Do you think she's really still alive?" I start navigating through stray fallen branches. "I don't see why not, Sunshine."

We search for a while until we stumble upon a tent. Daryl shoots his arm in front of me, aiming his crossbow. Slowly, he unzips the opening flap, the stench of rotting flesh floating out. Daryl heads in, me trailing close behind. I hunker down climbing inside. A corpse sits in a fold out chair, maggots crawling out of the caverns
in his face. Out of the corner of my eye I see Daryl scooping up a pistol and something that glistens in the light.

Outside they wait, holding on to the tiny bit of hope they have. "Nothin'." Daryl shakes his head. Wiping away the little droplets of sweat staining my forehead, bells ring out. The sound is muffled, its origin probably in a distant place. We head towards the noise in hope that it's Sophia. Arguing along the way whether we're even headed in the right direction.

Suddenly, the sound gets closer. We reach a church, where the bells are being produced. Carol calls out for Sophia and Rick looks for the bell. "It's just a damn recording." He says, pounding his fist on an electrical box. Busting open the doors to the church, we see some people. Only they're not people. At least anymore.

I see an arrow wiz by my vision as it enters the head of a walker. I jam the blade into one walkers eye a few times. One sneaks up behind me, so I kick out the legs, plugging the knife in the top of its skull. I look around seeing them all dead. Everyone searches the interior, Carol prays.

I sit down to think in one of the pews. Everyone disperses so I'm left alone in some eery silence. I draw up my legs, wrapping my arms around them. My mind is quite blank, only thinking of the future. I hear slight footsteps, as Daryl sits beside me. "You a Christian?" He asks. "I really don't know what I am?" I respond. Silence enters the room as neither of us talk.

I stretch out my legs, lying over Daryl's lap. He grunts, but doesn't move. "Tired." He asks. I nod my head. A few minutes later, he puts his hands on my shoulders, pushing me up. I feel his fingers brush against my neck, pushing my hair to the side. He wraps a gold chain around my neck, a diamond cross hanging from it. (Pictured above)

"Thanks Dixon, but why?" I ask. "It was too nice to leave." He lies, I can see it in his eyes. "Well why me." I'm very persistent. "There's no one else to give it to." I wrap my arms around his neck. "You don't always have to hide being nice." I release. "Yeah, yeah. Come on let's go." He rises, heading for the door. I catch up, grabbing on to his bicep. "Your very touchy Sunshine." My cheeks turn rosy red. "No, your just not used to it." A smirk spreads across my lips. Daryl and I stand with the group, my arm still around his. Shane shoots the evil eye at Daryl. Now this could get ugly.