Survival Instinct

You know when you do something for a long period of time, you adapt to it. Sometimes you may not even have to think about what your doing, you just do it. At first I was scared of what was happening. Afraid of whether or not I would survive. I don't think anyone wasn't afraid when the apocalypse happened.

After a few days I pulled myself together. This wasn't going to end anytime soon so I figured sulking about it wouldn't make it go away. Now I brave through cities, alone. Shooting down walkers if necessary not flipping out or running away. For about a week I joined up with a woman Tabitha. She seemed trustworthy even though I only knew her a short while. It was nice to know I wasn't alone. But the walkers had other plans.

We were in the city, looking for any type of supply or food item. We stumbled upon a small pawn shop. I volunteered to search inside, Tabitha kept watch outside. Keeping my trusty crossbow in shooting position, I scavenged through the place. As I was leaving with a few measly cans, I heard a loud shriek. A hoard of three walkers approached the place.

"Scarlet!?!" Tabitha yelled.

"It's alright I'm coming!" I yelled.

I ran with all my power. I shot one walker, dead in the the middle of its eyes. One of them jumped on Tabitha, I reacted by putting a quick arrow in the back of its skull. The last one takes two arrows. One I tried aiming for the head but got its chest instead. The second lodges into its neck making the kill. I reach my arm out to Tabitha, she remains on the ground.

"There's no use." She says.

"What?" I say kneeling beside her.

"This." She pulls the shoulder of her shirt down revealing teeth bites. "I got bit." She starts to cry.

I choke back tears. "Everything will be fine."

"No, I'm going to turn into one of those things."

"I'll figure something out."

"Don't. What if I turn and attack you?" She stops.

"Shoot me."

"You know I'm not going to do that."

"Yes you are."

"I can't."

She grabs my wrist. "Scarlet please. I don't want to become one of those monsters. I'm telling you to do it."

I stand, loading a bow. "I'm sorry I choke back. She looks at the sky closing her eyes. I aim the tip of the arrow right between the eyes. Biting my lip, I squeeze the trigger. I close my eyes as it goes toward her. I hear the connection as I sink to the ground on my knees.

I know this chapter has nothing to do with the walking dead but I wanted to establish Scarlet. The next chapter will be the start of the walking dead. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!