"Kagon." Delia swallows fretfully. "You saw that I can fight, lend me a knife or something. I don't like being without a weapon, not here."

"I can protect you. You shouldn't have to fight even if you can. It's not fit for a young lady." He answers simply. "Not to mention, you have to hold the torch."

Even after everything, even after I killed someone, a Shadowlander, for survival he still won't let me fight by his side....

Suddenly there's a snapping sound to their right. Immediately Kagon kicks into action, shoving Delia behind him and getting into a defensive stance.

From behind him Delia leans down and picks a sharp stone from off of the slick, rocky floor.

Then, it happens. In one deadly movement some creature tosses a gigantic spear from the shadows.  Kagon and Delia both duck on instinct, the torch falling from her grip and sputtering on the ground.

The long rod of the spear sticks securely into the wall behind them. If they wouldn't have ducked they would of been impaled.

"Step into my blade's glow so I can see you, you yellow-bellied weakling!" Kagon taunts. "There is no honor in a battle fought from the shadows."

Delia bites her lip fearfully, trying to stare into the darkness surrounding the dim yellow light Kagon's blade offers. All her eyes are met with is utter oblivion. It is far too dark to see anything beyond the light. Even the sputtering torch she dropped has long since been extinguished from the wet, dripping spears of stone above them. Without its steady warmth a chill comes over her, causing goose-pimples to arise on her skin.

Out from the darkness comes a chorus of quiet, malignant sniggering that only adds more goosebumps to Delia's collection.

"Is there more than one?" Delia asks in horror.

"That's what it seems like." The hero says. "That or the monster has more than one head."

That's just great...

The thought has hardly a moment to process as another spear is thrown. Once again the pair barely dodge the weapon.

"Fine, have it your way. I'll go in after you then!" Kagon shouts, angrily.

"Kagon--"

He cuts her off. "Stop your fretting, lass."

At that he moves closer, the light his sword casts eliminating the darkness as they traipse closer.

Chhh

Hearing the scuffle of small feet behind her, the writer wheels around, but there is nothing at eye level. Just when she is to shift her gaze lower something yanks Kagon to the ground.  He lets out a strangled holler that is swiftly quieted as his head hits the hard, wet stone floor.

"Kagon!" Delia shouts, wanting to run over to see if he's okay.

However, Delia stops herself, knowing that if she did it would leave her wide open for an attack. And it's not like she can defend them both if she too is incapacitated.

"Stay back!" Delia shouts, seeing the flash of greedy, glittering eyes and sharp teeth from the shadows.

The writer backs up, her heel lightly kicks the hilt of Kagon's fallen sword and she swiftly ditches the rock, grabbing the sword's hilt instead. The weapon is heavy, too heavy for her liking, but she has no problem holding it upright.

"Stay back!" Delia warns again, waving the blade out in front of her threateningly.

In the corner of her eye she sees Kagon's unconscious form move.  No, something is dragging it.

"Don't touch him!" Delia cuts an arc through the air and Kagon's body doesn't move any further.

They're at a stalemate.

At least that's what Delia thinks until a sharp weapon is aimed and launched directly at her.  It nearly slams into her shoulder, but Delia quickly moves to the side.  Even so, she still felt the spear slice her arm.

Liquid oozes from the wound, running down her arm and down Kagon's golden sword, marring it's perfect surface.  Delia seethes, not daring to grab her shoulder when even a moment's pause can have her speared.

The writer goes to stand in front of the hero, protecting the incapacitated man from getting himself impaled.  If they threw a weapon at her she didn't doubt they'd take advantage of his state and do the same to him.  Except he couldn't dodge like she had.

They have stealth on their side.  If I attempt to fight them head on it will only end in my and Kagon's death.  Better to temporarily retreat for now.  Delia curses beneath her breath. Sticks and stones, this wouldn't of had to happen if he would of just listened to me.

"Leave and we will be gone in peace." Delia tries to compromise.

A chorus of sniggers erupt from the gloom and Delia knows leaving in peace is impossible.

Fates, this can't be happening. Why didn't you train me in fighting Kagon! All this sword to me is a cudgel for all the swordplay I know!

Unsure what to do the girl turns her head back and forth wildly. From every side darkness eats away at the light the golden blade provides. Just from that she knows she's surrounded at all sides. So she does what any sane person, untrained in fighting would do.

"Help! Help!"