My legs threatened to give way beneath me as I bolted through the streets. I couldn't hear the distinct growl of the SUV, and figured I had time to catch my breath. Wheezing, I collapsed on the sidewalk.

"You look tired."

At the sound of a familiar voice, I righted myself with a groan. Rosa, my human friend, was balancing precariously on the curb.

"I am." I laughed weakly, running a hand through my knotted tresses.

"Walk with me." she beamed, grabbing my arm.

We skipped down the streets and I plastered a fake smile on my face. I was well aware of the severity of the situation, but I had to make sure Rosa remained oblivious.

"Why weren't you at school yesterday?" She asked, attempting to make conversation.

"I had an allergic reaction to, uh..." I scrambled for a believable explanation. "Gammon! I had an allergic reaction to gammon."

She blinked several times. "I thought you were vegetarian."

"I'm vegetarian, not dead." I scoffed, covering my tracks with a frantic lie.

She seemed to believe my poor excuse of a lie. "Don't worry, T, I won't tell a soul."

"Thank you," I sighed dramatically. "You're a good friend."

"I know," she sang. "Are you excited for school?"

I smirked mischievously. "You could say that."

____________________________________________________________

Human school was so much more enjoyable.

The teachers aren't crazy, the students are sociable, the food is nicer...

"What are you daydreaming about?" Rosa's chirpy voice shattered my reverie and I blinked.

"Hot guys in mankinis." I replied, eliciting a giggle from my friend.

"Is there anything you'd want to share with the class, Thea?" my maths teacher, Mr Potts, asked.

I looked up from my work and smiled sweetly. "My friend and I were just discussing hot guys in mankinis."

"She was discussing hot guys in mankinis. I was just pretending to be interested." Rosa laughed.

I placed my hand over my heart, feigning hurt. "Your words wound me, Rosa. You're such a bully."

"Girls!" It seemed that Mr Potts was quick to anger. "If you want to continue your enlightening conversation, please do so elsewhere."

After a moment of thought, I stood up. "Ok!"

Laughing, Rosa followed my lead. We walked briskly out of the door and headed towards the toilets, where we could waste the remainder of our lesson away. Prior to meeting my psychotic mate, I wouldn't of dared to rebel against a teacher. Now, anything seemed plausible.

"Such a rebel, young Thea," Rosa waggled her eyebrows. "Living life on the edge, I see!"

I giggled. "You have no idea."

We spent the following hour lounging on the sinks, amusing ourselves with small talk. This was so much better. Here, I felt marginally less like an outcast and more like a normal human being.

____________________________________________________________

By the time school had ended, I still had not constructed a plan.

I couldn't go home; Uncle Tom was siding with Mr Black. I couldn't exactly sleep at Rosa's as we'd only recently become friends.

It was only when I sat down and really considered my options that I remembered my bank account. When I came over, Uncle Tom invested a hefty amount of money into an 'emergency bank fund', and I was told to use it only in dire situations.

To me, this definitely fit the criteria.

With a flailing arm I hailed a taxi, clambered inside and paid him in loose change. What I was doing, was, of course, mental on several levels, but I couldn't bring myself to care. All I knew was that I needed to find shelter, and a B&B was certainly my best option.

How much are B&B's around here?" I asked tentatively.

The taxi driver glared at me in the rearview mirror and left my question unanswered. I hastily exited the car and took to the streets, searching the landscape for a bed and breakfast. Bustling crowds paved their way through the winding sidewalks, glued to their phones.

Now, I had to find somewhere to sleep.
____________________________________________________________
I shrugged off the plush dressing gown and walked out onto the balcony, marvelling at my surroundings. Stars peppered the night sky; tiny, insignificant bursts of colour encroaching on the eerie backdrop. If not for my tumultuous mood, I probably would've stopped for a second more to revel in the scenery. With a small sigh, I retreated inside.

Luckily, just a few minutes after arriving, I had found a quaint B&B. After what seemed like an aeon of trying to remember what my pin was, I eventually checked into a small, but beautifully decorated, room.

"Why do I have to be his mate?" I mumbled, collapsing onto the bed.

My question remained unanswered as I slipped into a deep sleep.