Chapter 59- Rified

Start from the beginning

"So you ended up in jail?"

"Yeah, just after the fight with you and that Lightning fellow actually." He told her and leaned against the railing behind him. "I turned myself in."

Frea stiffened at the words and her eyes widened. He what? That didn't make any sense, she had never met a person who would just willingly turn themselves into the Counsel, knowing they would be thrown in jail for who knows how long.

"What...?" She murmured, the one word being all she could say in her state of shock and he smiled.

"That leads up to what I wanted to tell you." He murmured. "My Magic, takes a toll on me. If I'm not careful, it can corrupt my mind and my body, causing me to make bad choices, and do wrong things." He told her softly, looking away. "Its not a 'good' type of Magic, it isn't 'pure' I guess you could say... Its dark, and just evil in nature no matter what you do about it."

"It was made by people who were evil at heart, and my Magic was only meant to he used by people who planned on doing evil things." Rified continued. "I knew the risks of learning it, and I was always careful to keep myself in check, up until about eight years ago." He glanced back at her with a small sad smile. "That's when I started doing bad things, and the evil side of the Magic I use ended up corrupting my mind." He told her. "That's why I attacked your friends. I wasn't thinking, I couldn't think, I was lost and confused."

Frea glanced away from his steady blue gaze to make sure nothing had happened to drastically change the Games, before looking his way again. She was taking in everything he said, and even if she didn't want to admit it, it made sense.

Moon had lighted down on the railing to her left, not to far away from Rified as she listened closely to what he was saying. Frea could tell that the Exceed was wary of the man, and with good reason, if she had scanned his memories, she knew what happened between him, Laxus, and herself.

It wasn't exactly a good history that Rified had with Fairy Tail, and definitely not a good history the man had with either Frea or Laxus,

"I'm sorry for hurting you and your friends, and I'm sorry for ever doing anything bad in the first place." Rified murmured, before giving her a smile and tilting his head. "I'm a little surprised you didn't take notice of what was wrong with my Magic when we first met. I was under the impression Energy Mages are rather good at reading people, and their Magic." He put in and Frea quirked an eye-brow as she crossed her arms over her chest.

There was almost no information on Energy Mages in the world, so one had to wonder how he could have known Energy Mages were sensitive to Magic. Though, she didn't even care how he knew that, at the moment because the statement annoyed her. He was right, she hadn't even noticed what his Magic was like when they first met, even though she should have.

"I usually am." She put in a bit defensively, "But I wasn't exactly doing very well at the time, I could hardly read any Energy Signatures, let alone yours." She muttered, Rified nodded and smiled a little.

"Ah... I noticed you were in bad shape when you got there." He murmured, letting his eyes close. "Though I had to wonder why...?" He put in and Frea looked away.

"Lets not get into that." She muttered as he opened his eyes, before nodding in understanding.

"Alright then." He murmured. "The other thing I wanted to tell you, was thanks."

Frea tilted her head a little, confused as to what he had to thank her for. She couldn't think of anything, considering all she had ever done to him, was beat him up with the help of Laxus.