Twenty

Michael rubbed her back, the tweed of her jacket scratching the palm of his hand. "Elizabeth, it's so nice to see you."

Elizabeth Taylor pulled away from him and smiled, her pearly white teeth gleaming between her bright pink lips. "I'm so happy to be here, Michael! It was so nice of you to invite me down to see you making your little movie! How's everything going?"

"Oh it's going well. The days are long, considering how short the film is, but I'm not complaining! I'm having an absolute ball!"

"You might be having a good time, but you look exhausted and, quite frankly, stressed. How're things at home?"

Michael smiled thoughtfully; in all truth, things were great at home. And that's just why he was exhausted.

"Oh, I know that smile. Clearly things at home are good?" Elizabeth asked, nudging Michael's arm.

"Something like that." He replied, licking his lips and smiling to himself.

If anything, he was exhausted because he and Ruby were always at each other; at each other in the sense that they couldn't keep their hands off one another. It was most nights, if not every night, a week that one of them would get home from work, only to have the other pounce without so much as a hello. He didn't know about Ruby, but Michael was exhausted.

Elizabeth sniffed him dramatically. "You practically smell of sin. Slow it down, boy."

Michael blushed, removing his arm from around her shoulders. "I can't help myself."

Elizabeth chuckled. "Well you're only young once! Have fun while you can! Once you get married, it's a whole other ball game."

"Ruby isn't keen on getting married."

"But you are?"

Michael had to admit it, even if it was just to himself: he'd love to marry Ruby. But she was such an independent spirit, he wasn't sure he'd be able to get her to make that kind of commitment, even if it was to him. "I'd love to marry her."

"Do you plan on proposing?" Elizabeth asked, linking her arm though his.

"One day; when we're more settled and can stand to be alone together for more than a minute before... y'know...?"

Elizabeth nodded. "When she graduates? That would be a good time to propose; she'll have all of her exams out of the way, so there won't be that added stress."

Michael nodded; he liked the idea of that. It wasn't long until she graduated, only another year and a bit. It would be prefect; they could get married just before their 30th birthdays.

"I think that sounds like a plan."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ruby was deep was deep into studying when she heard the door close. Although she smiled to herself when she heard the footsteps and smelled the unmistakeable cologne, she stayed where she was. She needed to study.

"Rube? You home?"

Before she could answer, Michael's footsteps grew louder and then he was sitting beside her. "How's the lady of the manor?"

She smiled again. "She's fine, but she's also trying to study for her final exam."

Michael held his hands up. "Okay, I get it. I'm going. Want me to order dinner? Or do you want me to make something?"

"Whatever; I'm not hungry." Ruby replied, her eyes still fixed on the page of her book. She knew for a fact that Michael would be looking hella good, having just come from the set; if she looked up, she'd never get any studying done.