Twelve

Ruby searched the aisles frantically; she had to find a copy of the record before the store opened. One of the perks of being Michael Jackson's girlfriend: he got you into places before they were open to the public.

Michael himself was sitting in a limo at the back of the building, and Ruby knew he'd be getting frantic now. He loved his fans, but he loved her too (though sometimes she wondered who he loved more). He feared for her safety, as well as her privacy. They'd somehow managed to avoid the paparazzi for 5 years, and even since they'd started dating, they'd managed to keep their relationship under wraps. For the first time in his life, Michael had a secret that no one knew.

Finally, Ruby found it. Sleek in a white suit and a black zip up shirt, Michael looked every inch the pop star on the cover his new LP, Thriller. Ruby hadn't heard anything from the album, except the first single, The Girl Is Mine with Paul McCartney. The album was new and exciting and she couldn't wait to listen to it.

She put the record on the counter and handed the cashier the money to pay for it.

"Michael Jackson fan, huh?" The cashier asked, handing her the change from her $20 note.

Ruby chuckled; how ironic could a question get? "Yeah; you could say I'm a fan."

"Well I've heard it and it's pretty good; I think you'll enjoy it."

"I'm sure I will. Thanks."

-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Why the hell do you have a tiger cub on your knee?" Ruby stared at the inside of the gatefold LP, totally bewildered by how flash it looked.

"I don't know. The cub was there and it seemed like a good idea at the time." Michael replied, pushing his sunglasses up onto the bridge of his nose before looking out of the window.

"I'm not saying it doesn't look good, but it looks hella ostentatious."

"I think I've past that point now."

"Mmm, I think so too." Ruby pulled his face round to face hers. She could tell he expected her to kiss him, so the shock on his face when she pulled his sunglasses off was priceless. "These cost $200..."

"They cost $300, actually." Michael corrected her.

Ruby rolled her eyes. "And I'm sat here with a pair of $10 ones on my head." She pointed to the sunglasses on her head before sliding Michael's up her nose.

"You have a big head." She muttered, frowning as they slid back down her nose, almost immediately.

"No, you just have a little head. My head is perfectly proportioned."

"Nice to hear you give yourself a compliment."

"But they fit much better now that my nose is smaller."

Ruby rolled her eyes; she should have seen that one coming. "There was nothing wrong with your nose before."

"It was too big." Michael replied as he took his sunglasses off her, putting them back on his own face.

"Is that your thinking or what Joseph told you?"

Michael sighed, looking away from her. "Both." He admitted.

Ruby could tell he was tired; that's why he was being cranky with her. She'd dragged him out of bed early in the morning because it was record release day and she wanted him to be there when she walked out of the store with the very first copy of Thriller to be bought in the world.