Thirteen

"We need to think of ideas for the single, Mike. What song do you want?"

Michael looked up at his manager, Frank DeLio. "Does it really matter what I want? Won't Epic just pick the singles themselves?"

"Nope; I told them this is all down to you. It's your music; you get to decide what singles go out."

Michael nodded, but his attention was straying. He was sat in the main living room of Hayvenhurst, his back to the large front facing window. He looked past Frank, into the kitchen; Ruby was helping his mother and Janet make dinner. She was a beautiful distraction.

"Mike: focus."

Michael looked back at Frank, his cheeks burning a little. "Sorry."

Frank shook his head. "What song is gonna be the next single then?"

Of course, Michael already knew what singles he wanted; he'd decided this all ages ago, though he never thought he'd actually get to choose and release them.

"I want Billie Jean as the next single." He said at last.

"Good; and a video?"

"They're short films, Frank." Michael corrected him.

"Okay, whatever: short film. We're thinking something that's MTV worthy. They don't show black artists; it would be huge if we could get you on there."

Michael smiled; he liked the idea of breaking barriers. "Well the short film will have to be outstanding."

"Mike, will you ever let anything you do be less than outstanding?"

Michael grinned. "No, I suppose not."

"I'll book a team and we'll start shooting in the New Year."

"No, I want to start shooting in 2 weeks; I want the single to be out in January."

"Mike, I don't know; that's cutting it fine. Some people celebrate Christmas..."

"Well I don't expect anyone to work on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Just book it for the days between Christmas and New Year."

"Mike..."

"Do it Frank; make the call."

Frank held his hands up. "Okay; you're the boss."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Michael stood in the doorway, watching Ruby put the cutlery out for dinner.

"How did the meeting go?" She asked, not looking up at him.

"Good; I'm shooting a short film in a few weeks."

"Oh? What song are you releasing as a single then?"

"Billie Jean." Michael replied.

Ruby smiled, straightening a fork. "I like that one."

Michael sat down in his usual place at the dining room table, waiting for Ruby to put his cutlery down in front of him.

"I was thinking of going home to New York for Christmas." She said cautiously.

"Oh? When would you be coming back?"

"New Years Eve, maybe the day before; you don't mind, do you?"

Michael touched her arm affectionately as it reached over his shoulder, putting the knife and fork down together, "Why would I? I'll be working that week, and I know you want to celebrate the holidays."