Fourteen

It had been 1983 for all of 10 seconds, the entire time of which Michael had been kissing Ruby, despite her father and brothers being in the same room.

They ignored the disgusted cries of George and Jamie; it was a new year and they were in love, blissfully so.

"Leave your sister alone." James said; he took hold of Jamie's hand as Michael and Ruby finally broke apart, both of them launching into a fit of bashful giggles.

"Happy New Year, sweetheart; I hope it's a good one." James said, kissing Ruby's cheek when she crossed the room to hug him.

"I love you, dad." She told him, holding him close.

"I love you too, Rube."

Michael watched the scene: Ruby bending slightly to hug her youngest brother; kissing the top of his head; crossing the room again to hug George; watching her kiss his cheek too.

"Rube, why have you got to wear so much lipstick?" George complained, wiping the rose coloured smear off his cheek.

"I gotta look good for my man; you'd know if you had a girlfriend." Ruby replied, licking her thumb and wiping the rest of the lipstick off. The small action screamed motherly; Michael had no doubt that Ruby would make an excellent mother one day.

"Don't start fighting; we're only 10 minutes into the New Year and I don't want it to start this way." James warned. He turned to look at Michael. "Happy New Year, Michael; I hope it's filled with every happiness for you."

"I'm sure it will be." Michael replied, smiling at Ruby.

"No lovey-dovey eyes until I'm out of the room. I let the kiss slide because it's New Year, but anything more, let me escape first!" James exclaimed, shielding his eyes as he dragged Jamie out of the room, on his way to bed.

"Take me with you; I don't need to witness my sister and her boyfriend playing tonsil tennis." George added, though he affectionately patted Michael's shoulder on his way out and wished him a happy new year.

"You know the drill, man: hurt my sister and you're toast." George joked.

"I wouldn't dream of hurting her." Michael replied.

"Just a friendly warning, from one brother to another; you'd do the same for your sisters! Anyways: 'night Rubes; 'night Mike!"

"Goodnight George!" Michael and Ruby said in unison.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With all of her family out of the way, Ruby saw the opportunity to pounce.

Michael was in the kitchen with her, washing up the dishes from the meal they'd shared with her father and brothers. Watching Michael do something so simple and ordinary was almost a turn on. Heaven forbid she ever let him vacuum.

Michael felt arms around his waist; looking down, he saw Ruby's slim wrists and dainty hands resting over his stomach. He felt her lips kiss his back through his shirt.

"What are you doing, Rubes?" He asked her, rinsing off the last plate and putting it to the side to dry.

"Showing you how much I love you." Ruby replied.

"I doubt it; you've done more than that to show me how much you love me."

"True; but I can't do that with my dad and two younger brothers upstairs."

"That's why we're going to the hotel." Michael reminded her. He couldn't wait to get her out of the house... and out of the very tight jeans she was wearing that left not a whole lot to his imagination. He swore she didn't even try to tease him.