Five

"Rube, are you working tonight?"

Ruby chuckled. "Nice to hear from you too, Michael."

She was sat in the narrow hallway of her father's house, on a rickety old dining table chair that was stuck between one glass panel beside the front door and a sideboard with a vase of winter flowers in it – the only feminine touch present in a house dominated mainly by males.

"Sorry – hi, Ruby; are you working tonight?"

"No, it's my night off, why?"

"Well, I'm doing an interview for an Australian news show tomorrow and I was wondering if you'd come help me pick out what I'm wearing? Mother isn't here and La Toya is out on a date with Diana's brother. I'm desperate, girl; you gotta help me!"

"Say no more; I'll be there."

"Great! I've sent a car to pick you up. It should be with you any minute!"

"You sent a car without asking me first?"

"I was really optimistic about your answer." Michael told her.

Ruby chuckled. "I can't even be mad at you."

"See you 10."

"Bye Michael."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Michael would be staying at a hotel for the night, with his father only a room away. That way, they could travel to the studio together. Ruby couldn't see the point, if she was honest; why couldn't they just meet each other there?

"That's a god awful jacket." Ruby wrinkled her nose at the silver monstrosity Michael was modelling for her.

"This was Jackie's; he gave this to me."

"I can see why he wanted rid of it. Good god Michael; it's nearly a new decade and you're dressing like its still 1973." She ran her hand cautiously over his sleeve. "You look like that weird guitarist from Slade."

"They make good music though." Michael pointed out; he was quite fond of their Christmas song, considering he didn't celebrate the holiday.

Ruby rolled her eyes and circled her finger in the air. "Give me a twirl."

Michael turned around slowly. "I like it; it's comfy too. And maybe I want to bring back the space age look, hm; you ever think of that?"

"Only you'd wear it. Saying that, the jacket itself is awful but you wearing it... it's not too bad. I could go a night without insulting you I guess."

"So I can wear it?" Michael asked, hopeful that he'd won her over.

"Yes, but I'm picking the rest of your outfit."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Michael watched her look through his suitcase full of possible interview clothes; they'd just arrived at the hotel and Ruby wasn't going to leave him until she knew exactly what he was going to wear the next day.

"Will you come with me?" Michael asked her suddenly.

Ruby glanced over her shoulder. "You want me to come with you to the interview?"

"Mmm; they're so boring and you'd make it so much more entertaining."

Ruby turned around to look at him. "I have some stuff to do, but I'll come by later."