Bandage The Damage

Two Years Later – Summer 1986

The space in between us

Starts to feel like we’re worlds apart.

Like I’m going crazy

And you say it’s raining in your heart.

Demi’s soulful voice echoed through the home studio. Lindsey sat in the control room with Mick, who had decided to pay them a visit when he heard that Demi was recording a new album, with Lindsey as her producer. “I wonder who this song is about?” Mick said, waggling his bushy eyebrows at Lindsey, who blushed. Mick sniggered and they both went back to listening to Demi sing.

You say that time away

Makes your heart go numb.

But I can stay

Just to prove you wrong.

Oh look at how far we’ve come.

Don’t you know?

Don’t you know that you’re the one?

Mick watched Lindsey’s face light up, the bright blue of his eyes now ice white with delight. He smiled, because he felt that Lindsey had finally found some sort of happiness.

My love’s like a star, yeah.

You can’t always see me

But you know that I’m always there.

When you see one shining

Take it as mine

And remember I’m always there.

When you see a comet,

Baby I’m on it

Making my way back home.

Just follow the glow, yeah.

It won’t be long.

Just know that you’re not alone.

As she finished the song with some soulful freestyle oohs and ahhs, Mick applauded her from the control room and Lindsey faded the song out to its final end. Demi went back into the control room and was met by a huge bear hug from Mick. “You’re amazing. Your third album is going to be spectacular.” Demi giggled. “Thanks Mick.” The three of them chatted a while, before it was time for Mick to leave. “Say hi to Sara for us.” Demi called, waving goodbye to Mick. Lindsey wrapped his arms around her waist and they watched Mick drive off together. “He’s right, baby. This new album is gonna be great.” Lindsey whispered into Demi’s ear. She smiled, snuggling into him. “I’m glad you think so.” They closed the door when Mick was out of sight and went back into the studio. “Okay, you go get ready for the next song.” Lindsey instructed. “Yes sir!” Demi replied, saluting him. He chuckled as she went back into the iso booth. Demi watched from her seat as Lindsey pulled a mirror out from under the mixing desk. She watched in silence as he made lines of coke and snorted them with skill. When he was done, he looked up at her and smiled. She tried to smile but found she couldn’t. “Something wrong?” Lindsey asked through the overhead speakers. “Can we just do the song please?” Demi replied, shifting her lyric papers around. “Erm, sure.” Lindsey frowned, starting the track. Demi held back the tears, trying to compose herself so she could sing. Ironic, she thought, that the song was a sad one to match the mood she was now.

It’s probably what’s best for you

I only want what’s best for you.

And if I’m not the best then

You’re stuck.

As she launched into the rest of the song, Lindsey could tell something was seriously wrong. He watched in awe and sadness as she got through the rest of the song with tears falling silently down her cheeks.

Baby, I just ran out of band-aids,

I don’t even know where to start.

Cos you can bandage the damage,

You never really can fix a heart.

Ooh, ooh, ooh.

Ooh, aah, wooh.

Ooh, ooh, ooh,

You never really can fix my heart.