Sorry Is Not Enough

Demi waved goodbye as Stevie’s chauffer driven car pulled away. She quickly went into her building and up to the penthouse. As she stepped out of the lift, she came face to face with her worst nightmare. Lindsey was sat on the floor outside of her door. And he had noticed her. There was no escape. Holding her head high – to show both pride and what Lindsey had done to her – she walked towards him. Lindsey stood up but remained silent as Demi unlocked her door. He didn’t speak when she opened the door and continued to stay silent, even as she was about to close it again. Irritated, Demi opened the door fully again. With a hand on her hip, she asked him, “What the fuck do you want?” Lindsey looked at her finally. Demi noticed that his eyes weren’t their usual bright blue; the light had gone out of them. And they were bloodshot, like he’d been crying a lot and hadn’t been sleeping. “Demi… I’m so sorry.” Demi scoffed at Lindsey pathetic apology. She began to shut the door on him, but he stopped it with one swift movement of his hand. Demi flinched, thinking he was going to hit her again. Lindsey noticed and moved back immediately. “I’m not going to hurt you, Demi.” He said. Demi laughed sarcastically. “That’s what you said last time. And now look at me. I’m covered in bruises. Because of this – because of you – I won’t be able to work for weeks. Thanks a lot, jackass.” She slammed the door in his face. As she heard his walk away, she sank to the ground and cried out in desperation. She had lost the only man she had ever really loved and she didn’t know how to cope.