twenty-two - sexy courgette

Beginne am Anfang

"It's your fault Flora knows about Ian. It's your fault Jason's so insistent on staying. It's your fault that I'm involved with any of this shit in the first place. It's your fault that I-"

"Back the fuck off, man!" I yelled as I yanked his hand away from my shirt and shoved him backward. He was breathing hard, his hands curled into tight fists and I didn't doubt I now mirrored that look. Anger never usually got the best of him. Hayden was normally a master at concealing every emotion he was feeling and channeling it into a bored expression. It was something I'd envied. Currently, he was the exact opposite of his cool, collected self. "How on Earth is it my fault that Jason wants to live here again? I wasn't the one that let him out of that stupid teenage rehabilitation centre and I'm sure as hell not the sole cause of you being involved with Ian. Don't you dare try to blame everything on me. We all thought he was a decent guy at the time and we all chose to help him using our own free will. We got ourselves stuck in this mess, not at any point did I force you into it."

Hayden pressed his palms on either side of his head and began pacing with his eyes scrunched shut. It looked as though he was trying to hold himself together - literally. If he used any more force when pushing his hands against his temples then I didn't doubt he'd crush his skull. I don't think anybody saw it coming when he lashed out, his fist striking my mouth with an audible thwack. If they did, they hadn't acted quick enough. Nonetheless, I know that I definitely hadn't expected it. I'd like to say I went down graciously, but in all honesty I dropped to that carpeted flooring like a sack of potatoes. To make matters worse, my mouth was gaping open and I got a mouthful of Topher's fluffy rug.

Everyone was shouting as I pulled myself upright, spitting out fluff. They were probably well aware that I was now seeing nothing but red. All three of them were holding back Hayden who looked intent on bloodshed. Initially, that had been my thought too. As I hit the floor, all I could think of was smashing his face in as payback. Yet when I looked at Hayden, my supposed friend, the feeling left me. I didn't want it. You weren't supposed to beat up friends. You were supposed to bicker and fallout but never question loyalties or beat the living day lights out of one another. I thought of Flora, of what she'd say to try and convince me otherwise, and knew she'd have agreed. Fighting Hayden wasn't worth it. Not when I didn't even understand why he was so furious.

For the first time in as long as I could remember, I took a deep and held back the overwhelming urge to retaliate with a violent act of my own. I stayed rooted to the ground as the boys held Hayden back until he finally gave up. When he sagged against the counter they eventually let go of him, faces pink with exertion.

"What the actual fuck was that?" Axel spat.

Hayden closed his eyes, defeated. "I don't know. I just..."

"If you want to be angry with me for no reason, fine," I said. "But don't go bringing Flora into this. There isn't a single bad bone in her body and she isn't going to have anything to do with Ian." 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you... I- you don't understand. I just got carried awa-" 

"You should lock your door!" An extremely familiar voice called from down the hallway. Perfect timing. "I could be a thirsty predator looking for little kiddies to snatch up and you'd have no way of keeping me out without a lock. Actually, I take that back. Your house is too difficult for anybody to find which is why I'm so-"

Flora hovered at the doorway. Her eyes jumped from face to face, clearly sensing something wrong, before finally landing on me. My appearance seemed to cause her sudden panic as she rushed over and began inspecting my face, tilting it from side to side with her tiny little fingers. "Which is why I'm so late." She finished, distracted. "What happened?"