Eleven

Johnny and Willy ran through the crowd of sorceres, shape shiftes and riders readying themselves for battle. Once Johnny reached Moonnight, he was surprised to find her already armor up. Rufus came up to him, out of breath. He carried a bundle of armor in arms, he tossed them to Johnny.

"Hey, what's going on?" Johnny asked.

"We're under attack by the king's men," Rufus said. "So hurry up and armor up. We need as many people out there as we can." Rufus unsheathed his sword and joined the others in battle. As Johnny quickly slid on his armor, he could already see Willy armored up and heading for battle.

"Willy!" Johnny called to her, but she didn't seem to hear him over the shouts.

"Don't worry about her," Moonnight said. "She's a good fighter, she'll be fine, but we need to get out there and defend our home." Johnny knew she was right. Willy was strong. With a nod, he hopped on Moonnight's back and they took off.

Johnny's heart was beating hard and fast. He had never been in a battle before, and frankly, he never killed anyone before. He felt Moonnight shifted as she dive down and set a jet of fire on the king's men. Screams and swords clashing could be heard. Johnny could see sorcerers using their magic, shape shifters turning into different animals, riders on the backs of their dragons. Even some where fighting with their swords instead of using magic.

Johnny took out his sword, and as Moonnight dived again. Johnny swung his sword down on any enemy that came near them. But as they went back up in the sky, Johnny's eyes grew wide, sorcerers, shape shifters, and dragons laid died on the battlefield. We're losing. He thought. But how could we lose? Johnny heard a catapult being shot and saw a giant boulder out of the corner of his eye. Soon, Moonnight gave a painful roar and they plummeted out of the sky. They hit the ground hard. Moonnight's body laid on top of Johnny, his eyesight blurred as the battle around him continued, then his vision darken, he was gone.

********

Johnny slowly opened his eyes. His head ached, as did his body. Medics ran around helping the injured. What happened. As he tried to sit up, a pair of hands pushed him back down.

"Rest," she a soft voice. "You're too hurt to be moving around." Johnny lifted his head to see Melissa. Her hazel eyes lingering on him.

"What happened?" Johnny croaked. Melissa hesitated.

"You were shot out of the sky. We found you with..... Moonnight laid beside you. You're lucky enough to be alive right now."

"And you weren't in the battle?" She shook her head.

"They wouldn't allow me and or Chase to fight. He's pretty pissed about it though....."

"What happened to Moonnight, is she alright?" Again Melissa hesitated, she stumbled on her words.

"You should rest, and worry about that later." She said and pulled a blanket over him. Jonny pushed it away.

"Where's Moonnight?" He demanded. He was afraid to know the answer. Melissa's eyes began to water.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "She put up a good fight, that's all i have to say." No, he thought. It can't be it just couldn't. "All the dragons died," she continued. "Some riders made it, some didn't and died with their dragons. You were the few that made it." Johnny couldn't believe it. It just couldn't be true. Then, another thought came to him.

"Willy! What about her?" Johnny asked. Melissa's head bowed.

"She didn't make it either. I'm sorry Johnathan." Johnny sat there on the bed, his heart felt like it broke into a million pieces. With no control over his body, he flung the blanket off him and walked out. "Johnathan, no! Wait come back! You can't just leave!"

"Watch me!" He shouted over his shoulder.

*******

Johnny sat on the balcony again, staring off into the battlefield. He was told he was out for almost a week, he definitely could tell, because most of the bodies that laid there were picked up and buried. All the dragons were the first to be buried. Johnny wished he knew where Moonnight was buried, he'll go to her grave, but unfortunately nobody would tell where she was buried.

Johnny heard footsteps behind him, knowing it wouldn't be Willy, he ignored it. Chase came up and sat down next to him. He and Chase became close friends over the years, Chase was fun to battle with, and an easy opponent.

"I'm sorry about Moonnight," Chase said. "I know how close you two were." Johnny didn't reply. That dumb old witch was right, not only did he lose one thing he loved, he lost two things he loved. "My mother was in that battled," Chase continued. "She was the reason I came to mountains with Volcano.... She was a shape shifter-" Chase laughed to himself. "Ironic, huh? But Volcano sucked it up."

"I'm sorry for your lost." Johnny said. Chase shrugged.

"Everyone loses something." Chase glanced at Johnny. "So what are you going to do now?" Johnny sat there, still staring at the field before him. You'll return to where you started, and live there for the next fifteen years. Madam lilac's words rang his ears.

"Home." Johnny said without thinking.

"What?" Chase ask.

"I'll probably head back to my village..... Don't worry though, I'll return when the time comes." Chase stared in disbelief, but he did not argue with his friend. Instead they both sat there, not speaking another word.

********

Johnny was given a horse and supplies that should last him for a couple weeks.

"Are you sure you have to go?" Melissa ask. Johnny nodded. She hugged him tight.

"I'll return, I promise." Johnny said.

"You better." She said. After they broke from each other, Johnny went up to Chase.

"This isn't good bye, my friend." Johnny said and gave him a one arm hug.

"I know." Chase said returning the hug. With final good byes, Johnny headed out. He stopped at the gate and said good bye to Rufus. He was pretty much banged up from the battle, but he stood strong.

"Don't forget to visit every so often." Rufus said.

"I will, don't worry." Johnny said, then rode out. Johnny was hesitant about riding through the field, but rode through it anyways. Just as he reached the Kay River, he glanced back. A tear went down his cheek.
"Good bye, old friend." Then he rode off, back to where he started.