Seven

Johnny hardly slept during their journey. He was afraid to. His mind kept going back to home. His father calling him a traitor. Saying that be has betrayed his family. Johnny shook off the thought. No, he wasn't a traitor, and he hasn't betrayed his family. It wasn't his fault that fate lead him to Moonnight. Fate. Sometimes fate should leave things alone. What is fate anyway? Something to screw up your life forever? Or something that happens by dumb luck? Fate. What a stupid thing. Johnny always hated how fate turned against him. He sighed deeply.

"Are you OK?" Moonnight ask.
"Fine as the stars in the night." Johnny grumbled.
"Not even that stars can be fine. As bright as they are. They each have their days of not shining as bright as it's brothers." Moonnight said wisely.
"I'm fine." Johnny reassured her. Moonnight snorted and shook her head like a horse.
"So, what's the deal with the king and not liking us riders and dragons?" Johnny ask.

"The king believes that since there's a whole lot of us, that one day we'all try to take over the kingdom. He thinks of us a disgraces. And that we are the gods mistake," Moonnight said. "So, he killed his father in order to rid us from the land. He sends his army to No Man's Island. Which if you didn't know it is us dragon's breeding grounds. They destroyed every nest, and killed most of us. My mother, barely escaped. She flew me as an egg of course, to the spot where you found me. Placed me there and took off. She died later."

Johnny let this all sink in. "That's so sad," He said. "I'm sorry."
"No, matter. If that never happened. I've would have never have met my rider."
"So, do all dragon have rider?" Johnny ask.
"No, not all. Just certain ones."
"How do you know so much?"
Moonnight chuckled. "I guess its because when we dragons were in our eggs, we hatch with so much knowledge. But, I'm only guessing. I'm not sure myself."

The sky grew bright colors as the sun began to set. Moonnight descended to the ground. They both had learned their lessons about flying at night, expecially when its raining. Johnny made a fire, and leaned against Moonnight. He watched as the flames danced. His eyes grew heavy and he closed them. Before sleep took him over, he heard the distance howls of wolves.

During the next couple of days, they flew through land. Johnny thought it was so beautiful. He always wanted to leave his run down village and explore the land. Johnny breathed in the fresh air. Slowly, Johnny realized they were running out of supplies.
"Land down, there by that village." Johnny suggested.
Moonnight soared past the village and landed in a forest near by. "Be careful." She warned.
"Don't worry I will." Johnny said.
"You better. Because once I have the feeling that your endanger, I'm flying in that village and I don't care who sees me."

Johnny went into the small run down village. Everything looked like termites had ran through it. As quickly as he could he gathered as much food and other supplies, avoiding eye contact. He couldn't believe how much this little village was suffering. He heard babies crying, and mother's trying to comfort them. There was no laughter of children, only the sounds of moaning and despair. The market place was even worse. It smelled of rotten meat, and mother's begging the shop owners for more food with the little money they have. The villagers stared at him with suspicious looks.

"Excuse me, sir?" Said a voice that made the back hair of Johnny's neck prickle. He turned to see an elder woman. She had blonde ragged hair with a purple cloth holding it up. Dull blue eyes. She wore a purple and gold robe and wore various amounts of jewelry. She sat a table that had a velvet cloth on it. "Won't you have a seat?" She ask, gesturing to the empty seat across from her. Johnny cautiously took a seat. She gently grabbed Johnny's hand, rubbing his palm with her thumb. "You came from a great distance." She said with her eyes closed. "From a village near the shores." She was right about that. Johnny's village did lay near the ocean. But it was day or two walk from his village to the ocean.

"And..." She continued. "You traveled here by air...... By dragon? Perhaps?" Johnny immediately drew back his hand. Her eyes opened slowly. "Ah, so you are a rider, um?"
"H-how do you know?" Johnny ask.
"I am Madam Lilac. I know all," Madam Lilac said. "And you, you are Johnathan A. Winderson." Johnny flinch. "Or what your mother calls you.... Johnny, am I wrong?" She tilted her head at him. Johnny's heart began to pound. "But you needn't to worry. Madam Lilac keeps all secrets." This Madam Lilac began to scare Johnny. "Shall I tell your future?" She continued.

Johnny was afraid to deny the old woman. And frankly he was afraid to move. Madam Lilac brought out a deck of cards. "Choose three. But don't look at them." She told Johnny. Johnny chose three and put them face down on the table. "These cards tell you, your past.... Present...... And future," She pointed to each card as she said it. "The past..." She flipped over the first card. It showed him as boy.... He was in his house... His room it looked like. It had him and Moonnight as a hatchling. ".... Son of a baker. Your mother always treated you like the baby. Your father..... Always treated you like a mistake. No love came from your father. Your sister... Netty right? She always tried to protect you, and try to be close with you. And you always pushed her away....

"You wandered in the forest one faithful day, fetching an arrow you shot in there. You stumble and found an dragon egg. It hatched. And you named her Moonnight." She flipped over the next card. It had a mountain and dragon flying toward it. "The present.... Your heading to the mountains. To help the resistance. War will come and you will fight. And...... You'll find love. You'll lose those you love. You'll be in great sadness." Johnny heart wouldn't stop pounding. Love? Him find love? Then lose it?

"The future...." She flipped the last card over. It was a battle field. In the center laid a dead body. His body. And a young boy kneeled in front of him. ".... You'll return to were you started. And live there for the next fifteen years. You'll help a prophecy come true. A bloodline with be that prophecy..... You will die in a battle that will end it all. But you will not be forgotten." Johnny couldn't take this anymore. He abruptly stood up.

"No! I'm going to die!" Johnny said. "You're crazy! You don't know what your talking about!"

"The cards tell all. I can not change what has been set. Your future is sealed." Madam Lilac said.
"No! I refuse to believe it." With that Johnny hurriedly grabbed his stuff and ran out of the village. Not caring if he didn't get the rest of his supplies. He can get them somewhere else. He ran until he reached the safety of Moonnight.