Chapter Fourteen: Agitha

Start from the beginning

"What is it that we both know?" Volga questioned as he morphed back into his human form. His spear was nowhere to be seen, but Link guessed that he may have simply hidden it somewhere.

Zelda greeted him with a smile. "We both know that this is my final order to you, and that you are freed upon the completion of this task, with all of your debts paid over full. A lifetime service still seems far too much to me."

"As it always has." He glanced at Link and Ghirahim, but otherwise didn't address their presences. "What is your wish, Zelda?"

The former princess of Hyrule rested her hand on Link's shoulder. "Aid them in the final battle against Ganondorf. Protect the princess. Help them dispose of the darkness in Hyrule for as long as it can be. After this task is complete, know that you will always be welcome in our walls."

Volga gave a simple nod and finally turned to observe them. "I never thought I would see the two of you again, but I suppose life is made of surprises. Is the princess ready for battle?"

"Not yet," Zelda responded, turning to go. "I'll go tell her what's going on and help her prepare as best she can. While I do...Link?" The blonde turned to peer over at her, and she spoke again. "Agitha has been waiting for you even longer than I have. She's on the eastern side of the castle. Volga knows where she is, but my suggestion is that you see her alone. Try to bring a little peace to her mind, because...well, you'll see. And...goodbye."

The former Hero hesitated, then gave a crisp, sharp nod. He let Volga guide his footsteps down a few halls and towards a door that was labeled with her name on it. Here he turned to look at Ghirahim.

"I don't know what to expect from her," Link stated firmly, "but I know she can't endanger me, so don't do the thing where you get worried and go kill things. In fact, Zelda was right. It will be better if you stay out here while I speak to Agitha."

The demon lord gave a simple nod and hugged him loosely. "Okay. Come back quickly. I'm not sure the servants around here trust me. I could be pummeled with a frying pan at any moment."

"I'll be quick."

Link knocked a couple times before slowly pushing the door open.

He expected the room to be full of bugs. What he didn't expect was for most of them to be half-decomposed carcasses.

The little blonde girl he had once known looked almost exactly the same as she once had. She was still just as tiny as she had been when he last saw her. Her hair was the same, even the same shade as before. Her skin was the same, her posture was the same -

In fact, the only differences were that her clothing had faded slightly and her skin gave off a strange golden glow.

She turned around to look at him, and a brief sorrow coated her gaze. Her voice sounded ancient when she spoke. "Hello, Link. It's been a little while, hasn't it? You look younger than before."

"You look not a day older," he replied with an attempt at a smile, shutting the door behind him and carefully stepping towards her over the bug corpses.

"Do you like my collection? I spent all day finding all of these bugs. A few new ones keep popping up out of nowhere. I collected all of them, and look! Aren't they so lively and beautiful?"

He hesitated a little before replying, "Yes, they are." He took a soft breath and asked carefully, "How are you?"

"I'm great! I'm a little lonely sometimes, but I don't know why. It hasn't even been that long since our last visit, has it? You look happier, and that makes me even happier. Are you okay now?"

Link forced a smile. "Y-yes, I'm...I'm okay now. It's better. The burning stopped."

Agitha was so happy and so full of life that it physically hurt him. "Really? It did? How?"

"I...I don't know," he lied, "it just stopped for a little while. The gap has been a lot longer than it usually is, so I think it's gone for good."

"That's wonderful! Just be careful. I wouldn't want you to let down your guard on accident just for it to come back worse than before."

"I know. I'm being careful."

She clasped her hands together and twirled her parasol, which now had holes chewed into it and strings trailing from the ends. A somber look came over her expression and she blinked rapidly, seemingly disoriented for a moment. Then she spoke, and her voice sounded young again. "Have you joined him yet?"

"C-come again?" Link asked gently.

"Don't be silly - I know you're dead. Aren't I dead, too? I feel like I am. Whatever. Have you joined Ghirahim yet? Have you found each other?"

A tear slid from his eye. "Yes. I found him. We found each other."

"That's terrific, Link. I'm so happy for you." She grinned, setting her parasol down again. A troubled glaze came over her eyes. "Are you in heaven? Am I not there yet? Is that why I still feel pain, and why I'm still sad that you're gone? I mean, I know it's only been a week or so, but usually I get over bad things by then. Also, am I allowed to sleep in heaven? I feel like I haven't slept in forever." She bounced a little, not waiting for an answer to the question. "Can I come, too?"

Link gave up and started to sob, refraining from hugging her for the fear that she may shatter under his fingertips but lightly resting his fingers on her shoulder. "Yes, Agitha. You can sleep now. Do you want me to help you over to the bed?"

She shook her head, smiling despite his tears. "No, the chair is fine. My stuffed grasshopper is sitting on the bed and he's taking up too much space for me to sleep there without hurting him." She sat down gingerly on the chair, and with a light sigh that carried a century on its breath, she shut her eyes, and her breathing stopped. Link drew away once her body started to crumble and the glow faded from her skin. Soon there was nothing, and in a small burst of light all of the bugs cleared from the room, and there was no sign that she had ever been there - save for a small, sealed bottle that had suddenly appeared on the desk.

It contained a small golden triangle that he recognized instantly, and although he still didn't want it, he stowed it in a pocket for later use.

He didn't want it, but he needed it.