Chapter One

May waited near the door eagerly, she'd never been alone for this long. She kept lying to herself that they were okay, they obviously we're not, they'd been gone for half the day. She turned the television on quickly." It looks like we will be having rainy weather throughout Spring but not to worry, nothing dangerous like that, no. Anyway back to you Carl." The news reporter smiled at the camera while being bucketed with extreme rain." Thank you Melissa." Carl smiled," we seem to have had a shooting at a local restaurant named Mary Jones' Pie. Seven people, have been shot dead including three couples, Melissa back to you." That was all May needed, a confirmation. They were gone...

When May arrived to the orphanage she felt like she was in the movie Annie. May had nowhere to go but here, her grandparents were in California and the rest of her family was out far and wide. Her grandparents were coming from California and were arriving soon. So that was good news, she wouldn't have to stay here for long. A few hours later her grandparents arrived. May stood up quickly and gave them a hug." Hi sweetie." Her grandma said under her breath, chocking in tears." We're going to take you home..." Her grandfather assured her.

May looked out her car window, it was just rain, rain everywhere. They pulled up to this nice looking home, sure, it was old, but in a sweet, good way. May ran to her new room, she found a door with the name, Claire carved on it, which was her mother's name. She swung the door open, and revealed a beautiful room, the bed had a handmade stitched up blanket and a desk next to it, with a photo of May's dad and a card. May opened the card. Claire, I love you dearly, nothing will ever stop me from showing my love. I've sent you this letter to tell you... Your parents... Are sending me off to New York with a job opportunity, I declined it immediately, but they're sending me off tomorrow anyway. I will write letters to you, and visit as much as I can. But the both of us know where this is going. They want to end it my love, your parents don't approve of me but I just want to say... I don't care, I don't care if they hate me, or want to run me over with a bus. My love for you is eternal, so I guess all I'm saying is... Come with me. Let's start a life together, sure, we'll visit them whenever you want, but they want me gone, and you know the last thing I'd ever do is hurt you by leaving without you, so come in your free will and if not that's okay, I understand your love for your parents."
-love Eric

"May, dinner's ready." Her grandmother called. May hid the card in a drawer quickly and ran downstairs to the kitchen." What were you doing in that room that took so long, dear?" Her grandmother asked." Decorating." She answered. For some reason, She felt uneasy about telling her, She felt like they didn't know, and their daughter just disappeared one day in New York. Her mouth watered as she smelled the delicious smell of chicken.

"Good night sweet May, I hope you feel better tomorrow, okay?" May nodded at the sound of her sweet grandmother's words." Grandma, where's grandpa?" Grandma sighed." He's... Busy sweetie." She patted May on the shoulder." Good night." She kissed May's cheek and turned off the light, May proceeded to close her eyes and try to drift away, let today's difficulties leave her consciousness.
.....
Nora stormed downstairs angrily before making it to the study room." Walter!" She exclaimed as Walter jumped." May has been asking about you, all day you've been here! I fed her, cleaned her up, cleaned Claire's room and tucked her to bed! You've just been here all-" Nora paused, catching sight of documents in Walter's hands." Oh dear Walter..." The document was a will, signed by Claire herself, stating that May would live at Tara's home, which was a FRIEND of her's." This is not possible, not trusting us to care for her but a 'friend'." Walter shook his head. They sat in silence, holding each other's hands.