"The orphanage was closer than the village."

"Are you going back tonight?"

"No. I figured you and Ansei would want to spend some time together, after all." Kabuto nodded slowly and turned back to the red-haired girl with a mix of pity and understanding.

"And you saw no evidence of what caused this attack?"

"I didn't," Naruto answered. "It all seemed so surreal... Like nothing made sense."

Kabuto smiled sadly at the girl. "We'll figure this out, but you should make your report, Naruto-san. I will take care of her."

"Thank you, Kabuto."

The door behind them opened and in stepped another Hyuuga. Her dark hair fell almost to her ankles. She bowed deeply at the two men. "Good evening, Naruto-san," she greeted.

"Hinata," Naruto greeted with an equal bow.

"How is the girl?"

"She should be fine," Kabuto reported. "None of the wounds are fatal. I will give you updates," he promised the orange-clad sensei.

"Thank you," Naruto said with another bow as he left the room.

Kabuto sat down beside the bed again. Hinata came up to him. She wore the same uniform as he did. "How is Ansei doing?" Kabuto asked.

"Good," Hinata said warmly. "As are the other two children. They told me about the village this child was found it. It's terrible."

Kabuto nodded. He knew how the girl would feel when she woke up to find that she was the sole survivor of some battle or attack. "We'll do what we can for her, and then perhaps she can go to the Leaf Village," Kabuto assured the woman. "But, if not, she will always have a home here."

______________________________________  

The village look entirely different from the one that Boruto called home. His wide, pale blue eyes stared blankly at the village before him. Instead of the village that had been built in the crater created by Pain's attack, he was staring at a village that seemed untouched by such a disaster. The Hokage monument still held his grandfather and the Senju brothers, but it didn't hold Kakashi, Tsunade or Naruto. Instead, it held a face that Boruto didn't recognize.

"Sarada...?" Boruto whispered nervously.

"I see it," the girl beside him said quietly. He felt Himawari's hand tighten around his. Boruto offered his sister a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, Hima-chan," he said, trying to sound positive. "We just gotta find mom or dad and figure out what's going on!" But what was going on? It had been Boruto's idea to run away from the village, but they had only been gone a single night. It wasn't enough time for the entire layout of the village to change. "Genjutsu?" Boruto asked.

Sarada shook her head. "No," she muttered. "This isn't a genjutsu."

Boruto sighed. "Boruto... I want to go home!" Himawari whimpered softly.

"It's okay!" Boruto said with a smile. "Don't worry about it, Hima-chan."

"Yeah!" Sarada said, smiling as well. "Let's go find our parents!" Boruto nodded. He reached down and picked up Himawari, holding her tightly.

"Let's go!" Boruto and Sarada nodded at each other and started into the unfamiliar village.

As the small trio moved through the village, Boruto became more and more lost and he held onto his sister tighter, making sure that Sarada was close by at all times. This didn't make any sense. Even the buildings were older. Almost every building in his version of Konoha was less than twenty years old, but here he was staring at buildings that actually had enough time to get some wear on them. "Where are we going...?" Sarada asked finally.