One: High School

Kayla 

"You bitch!" My aunt yells at me.

"I'm sorry Auntie! Can I please just have something to eat?" I plead.

"David! Give her something to eat." My aunt yells at my uncle.

My uncle grunts and takes a belt that has been hanging on the back of the door in his hands. He then approaches me and grabs me by my loose hair. 

"You can't do anything yourself! If you want food, you go get it ." He says with a nasty smile.

I stand up and pry his hands off my hair, and then run to the kitchen before he can hit me with the belt. I shove a piece of toast in my mouth and take a big swig of water before I return to my room. I push open the door ready for the belt to come swinging at me. 

"You piece of shit. All you do is eat my food and drink my water. You are the reason your parents are dead." He yells at me.

He grabs my wrist and strikes me with the belt on my stomach. I let out a cry of pain, but nobody hears me and I know it. My aunt laughs and spits at me while my uncle takes another swing at me with his belt.

-----

I grimace at the memory of my aunt and uncle. I was only five when they started abusing me. f I could get my hands on them now, I would kill them. 

"Kayla! Get down here please. I have something important to discuss with you." My dad yells from downstairs. I smile. I love my dad to the moon and back. He is the leader of the largest gangs in New York City, and operates a large number of clubs and underground street fighting arenas. 

When I was five, I was told both my parents were killed in a car crash, and I was taken to live with my aunt and uncle. It turns out that only my mother died, and my father had fled the scene and went to New York City. When I was twelve, he showed up at my aunt and uncles and took me to start a new life in New York.

I head downstairs to go see my father as I push open the door to the living room, I notice that his second and third command were sitting with him.

"Hi Dad! Hi Uncle Zayne and Uncle Jared." 

My father's best friends are also his second and third in command. We are basically a family, so I call them my Uncles. They motion for me to sit across from them and hand me a thick red file. I open the file and begin flipping through it as my father begins to speak.

"Sweatheart. As you know, our largest competition is the Walsh Gang. We just recently learned that their leader has a son who is seventeen. He attends a nearby high school, and we want you to get close to him and gather information on the gang. We need inside information and I think you have the best chance of getting it. We have enrolled you at the nearby school as Kayla Pitt. It is imperative that you do not let anyone discover that you are a Martin, that could put you in danger. Are we clear?"

"Crystal." I respond.

"Excellent. School starts tomorrow at eight thirty. Do not be late." 

The Next Day

I roll over and glance at the clock, it is five thirty in the morning. I push myself out of bed and make my way downstairs to the gym. Discipline is vital when you fight for sport. It requires your body to constantly be pushed and pushed. In order to stay focused and ensure my body is always ready, I wake up early, so I can get a few hours of training in every morning, unfortunately, I now have school. 

After working out for a little over an hour, I pull my phone out from my back pocket and check the time. Six forty-five. I drag myself upstairs to my bedroom to take a shower, and prepare myself for school. I have not been to school since I was in middle school. When I moved in with my father in New York, he decided that it was best if I was homeschooled. After letting the warm water sooth my aching muscles, I step out of the shower and  wrap myself in a towel. I then open the door to my room and walk towards my closet.

I open my closet doors and look inside. I finally decide on a pair of blue ripped jeans that flare at the bottom, paired with a white tank top and my signature black leather jacket. I then slip on a pair of white Nike shoes before heading downstairs.

I open the cabinet of school supplies, and take out a black backpack and fill it up binders, pencils, and pens. I also make sure to pack myself gym clothes and a pair of running shoes. Finally, I slip a pocket knife into the inside pocket of my bag. Just in case. 

I then walk out the front door of my house and hop onto my motorcycle. I slip on my helmet and  then speed off to the nearest coffee shop before heading to school. When I arrive at the school, I park my motorcycle and head inside the school to find the office and get my schedule. I push open the office door and stride over to the front desk. The secretary looks up at me with a bright smile on her face and asks for my name.

"Kayla Pitt. Junior. New student." I reply sounding bored.

Her smile quickly disappears as she hands me my schedule, locker number, and bag of textbooks. I look down pleased at the class schedule. I have gym first period, followed by English. I then have my lunch break which is followed by chemistry. To finish off my day, I have Calculus. I look up from my schedule and nod towards the secretary before I walk out of the office. 

I look down at the map to direct me to my locker, but unfortunately since I was so focused on the papers in my hands, I bump into someone.

-----

Edited: May 13, 2021.

Xoxo Maryann