Chapter 24 (edited)

Start from the beginning

"I have nothing to talk about. I'm fine."

"I see." She tapped her pen against the paper. "Well how about why you came here today?"

"My boyfriend was concerned. He made the appointment for me," I explained keeping my countenance even.

"Why was he concerned for you?"

"He thinks that I'm engaging in self-destructive behaviors." I crossed arms over my chest and her eyes followed the motion.

"What sorts of behaviors?"

"Not sleeping normal hours, and others."

"How much do you sleep?"

"Enough," I answered knowing and hating that it sounded so defensive. It was the same answer I gave everyone who asked. She noted my crossed arms and slouched posture with her eyes. Her hand noted what I'd said on her pad.

"How much do you think is enough?" She questioned leaning across the desk.

"Look I don't want to be here and these insistent questions aren't making me want to be here anymore so can I go?"

"We still have half an hour so is there something you'd be comfortable talking about?" Dr. Andrews raised her eyebrows.

"There is something that I've been thinking about."

"What's that?" She looked excited.

"I really want to leave." She frowned while I raised a brow expectantly. She sighed.

"I can't help you work through your problems if you don't talk to me about them." She cajoled. Yeah not working on me.

"I am fully capable of working through my own problems, thanks." I stood up and walked to the door. Opening it I walked out into the waiting room and looked up shocked to see Troy sitting on one of the chairs. I walked over to him. "What are you doing here?" I hissed conscious of the other people in the room.

"I came to pick you up." He looked at his phone and then back at me, "Don't you have more time with the therapist?"

"No, we finished early."

"Okay, what about a follow-up appointment?"

"Already in her schedule, same time next week." I lied and he nodded. He stood up and took my hand leading me out of the therapist's office. At the car, he opened my door like a gentleman and then helped me in before going around his to his side as I buckled my seatbelt.

"I'm glad you did this, Babe." He reached over and squeezed my hand smiling at me. "I know you didn't want to but I think its the best thing for you." I forced a smile in return. Lying to him physically hurt me. "Are you still mad at me?" He asked sounding concerned.

"No," I assured him, "I'm just tired."

"I think you'll sleep better now that you've opened up a bit." He patted my knee and I smiled again before looking out the window. I leaned my head against the headrest and sat silent.

At home, I got out of the car without waiting for Troy and he bounded around the car coming to my side in a hurry. "I have a surprise for you." His eyes twinkled with excitement.

"Me?" Looking at him in question and concern. He nodded enthusiastically covering my eyes with his hands. "What is happening?" I placed my hands over his trying to move them.

"Stop. Just let me take you to your surprise."

"I can't see the stairs." I insisted trying to take his hands away. He kept them in place.