one • introduction

I coughed slow breathes. I can hear birds chirping. I can hear the wind's breeze blowing against my body. I'm so tired. I've tried to sleep but I can't. I keep thinking, my mind racing. My eyes darting nervously around the area. It's a simple place really : shelves, doors, places you can sorta-hide. Yeah, it's a gas station. Even though it isn't much, it's kept me alive for more than a month so I suck that crap up. I've even had a person arrive here once-a man. He just took a few water bottles and dropped a shelf. Of course, attracting walkers, they came and drove him away. Thankfully only one stood back. I easily took it out, quietly. I know I can't stay here forever, I think I'll pack up and leave tomorrow. I'll try my best to sleep, get some rest, and head out before dawn. I grabbed my pastel blue-stained backpack and put 5 water bottles in it, probably about 12 energy bars and some cans of beans. Thank god none of it was bad; have I even mentioned that I'm only 13? It's been a sh...sucky life. I try not to swear a lot because my mom was a Christian. I can't help it at most times though. It's already dark, the Suns setting. I'm
gonna leave in the morning..definitely.

Groaning and my eyes fluttering open. I pull myself up and grab my bag. I move the shelves against the doors holding them closed. It's was almost as if I didn't have a problem. Until I saw a figure coming. Closer and closer, they came up to the parking space of the gas station. It seemed as if there was only one person-oh wait, there's a baby?! 
Maybe I could save their lives-maybe I could. Just — no. I can't. No matter what.I still remember what happened last time I trusted someone. It still haunts me til this day, unfortunately. I put the shelf back quickly and hid inside a counter. Even though I was barely 13, (turning a week ago) I was still pretty small. I had the cabinet opened by a crack. They entered. What was I gonna do?! I had my bag with me, because it was a slightly large cabinet. More like a pantry that was empty? Maybe. It was strange for it to be In a gas station. I just was thankful it was here.
The girl, yeah, a girl I think, walked in. She took her knife and made a little bit of noises against the cabinet. She's trying to see if there are walkers. I've kept this place managed-she'll suspect someone was here.
"Well AJ, were alone. Together. And we'll make it better together." She smiled at the young baby. She set him on the counter with the old register on it and searched around. Before I could think, she talked again.
"Do you think..I did the right thing leaving Jane alone? What if we cross paths again?" She sighed loudly. I could tell she's been through a lot.
Like me.
She found some leftover baby food and fed it to the baby AJ. I think that's his name. I feel my heart pounding. I'm nervous. I can tell they really are alone. They don't have a camp either obviously. I'm not sure what to do: wait them out, threaten them to leave, or join them.
But..I can't. The last time I trusted someone..it didn't go..well. Before I knew it the water bottles in my bag rubbed against the cabinet and made noise.
I. Am. Screwed! What do I do?! JUST GREAT. Good job mrs. Genius Y/N. Way to go. She shoots; she scores.
I sigh. The girl opens the cabinet and puts me at gunpoint.
"Who are you?! What the hell are you doing here?!"
I hesitate.
"This..this was my place. I was leaving but you two started to walk here so I came back here and hid."
She paused.
"Clementine. And that's AJ. You?"
"I'm Y/N."
"Well, Y/N. You aren't bit are you?"
I gasped. "What, I am not!"
"Just checking." She stared. My face was splattered with dry blood.
" So you were leaving right? I guess you took everything."
I waited a second.
"I left a few supplies here..In case things got bad during my trip and I had to come back. I hid it though. Good..I guess."
She nodded, I guess she thought it was smart. Well it was pretty smart. Usually people can make the smallest mistakes and turn them into the hugest consequences. It all depends.
"So, do you have a camp? And you can get out of the cabinet, just don't get near AJ."
I slowly exited the cabinet.
"No I don't have a camp. God, if I did I'd keep it to myself! Camps are horrible unless there's a good leader that knows what they're doing."
"Interesting. And I agree. Camps aren't that smart these days."
I looked at my bag. I could run these guys off. But...I like these people I like Clementine. She obviously knows how to handle things.
"Do you want some water?"
I grabbed a water bottle out of my bag and handed it to her.
"Thanks. I don't remember the last time I had some..that was filtered anyways." She sighed.
"Yeah I have plenty."
"So, one question: where were you heading?" She asked.
"I have no idea. Just move on, see if I could find a place that could keep me for a while. Be safe. " I replied.
"Why not a group?" Clementine wondered.
"I don't trust people, not anymore."
She stared right through my eyes, as if she had seen exactly what had happened.

"I get it."