Chapter Sixteen

I wasn’t sure if I should’ve kissed him right away, so I just got his cheek. All of my doubt had gone away as soon as he pulled me into a hug. Peter was there, and Peter would be willing to hear what I have to say.

Peter has both of my hands in his as he pulls me towards the house. I’m taken aback by how excited he is. Eric and Michelle follow behind, and we’re all careful to wipe our muddy shoes off before going inside.

“Gram, meet some of my friends!” Peter calls through the house, releasing one of my hands. I glance around the area.  It’s not too big, not too small. There are two couches in the living room, surrounding a coffee table, yet no television. A table covered with a cloth reside in the dining room, six chairs around the sides. Then we approach the kitchen; it’s a beautiful room with those durable counters and a pale yellow color scheme.

A joyful looking woman with long, gray hair drapes a rag over the divider in the sink and turns to face us. A smile covers her face and her eyes squint so much they appear to be closed.

“You must be Ryleigh!” She says, after glancing at or hands. Peter’s grandmother rushes over and pulls me into a hug. I wrap my free hand around her back as she whispers in my ear. “Don’t you dare break my boy’s heart.”

“I won’t,” I whisper back, hoping with all of my heart that it’s true.

“Michelle and Eric, I’m assuming?” She says to the two awkwardly watching from a distance. She hugs Michelle, then pats Eric’s shoulder. “You three can call me Fran!”

“Thank you, Fran, for letting us in,” I say, leaning against Peter and sighing.

“Dear, you guys must have driven ten hours! And don’t think I’m letting you drive home tonight.”

“It was more like nine and three quarters,” I mumble. Peter smiles down at me.

“So they can stay the night?” He asks, not looking up.

“Of course! Let me show you the spare bedroom!”

Fran whisks the three of us away and down a hallway. She points out the bathroom, then opens a door.

“This is Peter’s room. Eric, you can sleep in here.” As much as I wanted to say something, I refrain. Plus, I still want Peter and Eric to become good friends. “And for the lovely young ladies, here is the guest room.”

The guest room looks very clean, like the sheets were just washed. A queen sized bed sits in the middle of the room, fitted with white sheets, pillows, and a fluffy comforter. It looks so much more comfortable than the seats of the car.

“We should go get our bags,” I say, glancing at Michelle. She nods, then we grab Eric and walk back out to the car.

Peter reappears, just in time to take Michelle’s suitcase from her. He mouths at me that we need to talk, then goes back inside. Oh, how badly I need to talk to Peter also. We just have to get alone, which didn't seem too hard, at first.

“Let me make you all some breakfast!” Fran says, bending down to pull a pan out from a drawer. I’m not really hungry, which I inform her of.

“Ryleigh, since you don’t need breakfast, would you mind helping me with something in the shed?” Peter offers.

“Nonsense! If you need help, take the handsome, strong looking boy right next to you!” His grandmother interjects.

“Grandma, it doesn’t require much strength…”

“Fran, it’s alright. The strong looking boy looks a bit hungry,” I comment. Then, before she can respond, Peter pulls me out the back door.

We’re silent on the short walk to a small shed next to a dock. The lake water makes small waves from the wind. I had taken my sweater off earlier because I was warm, but with the breeze, it’s a bit chilly.