Chapter Two

The best thing about not using your phone is that you never hear an alarm. I've begun to wake up with the sun. It's been doing wonders for my overall energy level. And even less time that I'm awake and can think.

I wandered downstairs in my pajamas, prepared to make breakfast. Lucky me didn't even have to, seeing as there's my mother, still in her robe, frying bacon on my griddle, er, their griddle. I'm not used to anyone else cooking here, not since Gram moved back to Kentucky. She taught me everything I know about cooking.

"Mom, what are you doing?" I questioned, still confused as to how she beat me downstairs.

"Making you breakfast. Dad is going to do bulletins at church, so after we eat, we can drive up to the mall," she replied, as if this happens every weekend.

"I always make breakfast, you don't have to."

"But I want to, sweety. You seem like you could use a break from all of this. That's why I took a half day later this week so I'll be home when you get off school. Then we can go do something fun, like get your nails done for Homecoming. Dad told me you're going with Eric?"

"Yeah, since he didn't have a date either, Dad pretty much forced him," I muttered the second part so she couldn't hear it.

"How nice! Our daughter going to her first dance with a date! And such a handsome one, at that."

"Mom, please, Eric is just my nurse," I said, cracking up at my own joke.

"Whatever you say! Eat your breakfast and get dressed so we can go soon," she replied, rolling her eyes. Some people just aren't pro mornings.

I popped some whole wheat bread into the toaster while I inhaled the plate of bacon. Once they came out, I put peanut butter on them and carried them upstairs.

Let's see, chances are Mom is going to make me try on hundreds of dresses, so I need to dress accordingly. I threw on a cami, a sweatshirt, spandex, sweatpants, and my slides. Comfortable yet easy to get on and off quickly. The sooner we find "the dress" the better.

Before I left, I fired up my laptop to email Michelle. I'm not totally cut off from her. I sent her an email explaining about how I'm going with Eric and that my mom is taking me shopping today. Chances are, she won't reply, but she'll mutter something to me when we pass in the halls. She still comes to school, but she hides her face well.

It's strange, everyone else carrying on like nothing ever happened. They are their same old selves, while a small few of us who actually understood are breaking at the seams. Sometimes I wonder if they've been waiting their entire lives for that one moment, reading it in the paper. Like they're somehow happier than they were before and I'm just too depressed to notice. At home, I can try to forget, but at school, it's everywhere.

I remember when Simon told me this about that person..., I remember Simon tripping him since he insulted Michelle..., I remember Simon. I begin to wonder if he haunts me.

"Si," I whisper, "why did you leave?"

It comes as no surprise when the only thing I can hear is my own heart beating and my mother calling from downstairs. He can't actually be here. If he was a ghost, he'd want to be with Michelle of course. Or his mom, or everyone else but me. I was only the tutor who introduced him to my best friend, the third wheel, and the quiet girl who wouldn't speak for herself.

"Ryleigh? Are you coming?" Mom called.

"Yeah, let me get my bag," I yelled back, hearing the exhaustion in my voice. But it's not like I've been deprived of sleep. I've been deprived of peace of mind.