Chapter Eleven

"Ready?" Michelle asks. Her family came over on Christmas Eve to celebrate with us. We spent last weekend shopping, getting maternity jeans and supplies for our little project.

I nod in response. We're about to open presents. As soon as they pull our project out of the bag, there's no going back. As soon as both of our parents know, then we can tell everyone else. I'm nervous and I'm not even the pregnant one.

Downstairs, all six of us gather in the living room. There is a hot fire burning in the fireplace. It's been snowing constantly for the past three days. I had to shovel the driveway this morning, then go over to Michelle's and shovel hers since I wasn't going to let her do it. I told our parents it was a Christmas present to her.

"Here you go, dear," Karen says, handing me my gift from them. It was a little box. I say my thanks and tear the paper off. Inside is a pair of earrings.

"Oh, thank you, thank you! They're so beautiful!" I don't hesitate to take the little black studs out of my ears and put in the new dangly earrings. My mother complimented how they match my Christmas dress that I'll be wearing tomorrow.

My dad, who is sitting next to the tree, dishing out the presents, finally pulls out a big red bag. My breath hitches. Here we go.

"To all the parents, from Ryleigh and Michelle. Thank you, girls," my dad says, setting the bag in the middle. The other three adults scoot to the edge of their seats to aid in pulling the tissue paper out.

Karen is the one to grab the picture frame. My heart is racing. A quick glance at Michelle assures me that she feels the same way. Karen pulls the frame onto her lap. None of the others can see the front the way she is holding it. She clasps and hand over her mouth, begins crying, and rushes over to hug Michelle. Confused, my mom flips the dropped frame over so the dads can see.

Karen's sobs drown out the gasps of the other adults. My mom realizes what it means and joins the hug. She reaches an arm out to pull me in. By then, we're all crying. I miss the reactions of the fathers.

"You- you're pregnant?" Michelle's dad asks. His voice is a mixture of confusion and anger. I turn to look. My dad grins and holds out his arms to hug him. Sheriff Thomas's face pinches in anger.

"Dad, I know what you're thinking-"

"Of course! It's that awful dead boy, isn't it?"

"It's the only chance he has to become a dad. Can't you understand that?"

"To hell with that! You're not even eighteen! He ruined your life!"

"He didn't, you did! I was in love with Simon and you were too judgemental to see! He wasn't even a bad guy!"

My parents both look away. Karen looks unsure of what to do.

"Karen, are you hearing this?" The spotlight turns on her. The entire fate of the rest of Michelle's life rests on her shoulders.

"Yes, John. Michelle, you are indeed too young. But John, you need to understand that Michelle probably won't want another man the rest of her life. This is our only chance, and Simon's mother's, to be grandparents. I know it's sooner than you wanted, but we can't force her to get an abortion. I won't let you."

"So you're just going to let her go free?"

Now they have to determine a punishments.

"She can be grounded, I guess."

"Until February."

"But Dad!"

"The end of the holidays," Karen decides. John doesn't want to argue with her anymore. "Brock, Wilma, is it alright if we keep the frame?"