Chapter One

I was one of the only students at his funeral. Everyone else said he deserved it. After all, he was shot by a cop.

All of the other students here were forced by their parents. My parents don't even know I'm here. They don't even know that I knew Simon. But of course I did; all of the people here thought they did, too. But I still can't believe this happened.

A tear trickles down my cheek. Someone pats my shoulder. Simon's mother.

"Thank you, dear, for coming. Tell Michelle we're sorry she couldn't come."

I only met her once, the one time she was home while I was at their house. Simon didn't want me to meet her, but he took too long to come upstairs and she said hello. We talked for a few minutes before Simon came up and dragged me away.

They all think Simon is a horrible person. He didn't belong in our school. He didn't even belong in our town. He always was a drifter, and it took me too long to notice. Part of his death, I believe, is my fault. I knew where he was going. I didn't tell anyone.

I didn't want to begin sobbing in front of all of the parents, they'd think he brainwashed me. I'm in my perfect state of mind. I rushed to the bathroom and ripped some paper towel off of the roll.

Unfortunately, this is a bathroom for both genders, as are most in the small city. A single stall sat closed next to me and a sink on the other side. Someone occupied the stall.

"Hello?" A deep voice called. I recognized it immediately, before getting hit in the face by the stall door.

"Ouch!" I cried, holding my nose, now gushing blood. "Eric!"

"Shit, Ry, I'm sorry. Let me get you more paper towel."

"Wash your hands first!" I called, not wanting him to touch my face with dirty hands. He just came out of the stall, of course.

Eric did as told, rushing through and getting more paper towel. The roll was nearly empty, which cannot end well since I don't think the bleeding will stop anytime soon.

"Shit, shit, shit, your nose is like a volcano!"

"Thanks," I replied, my voice distorted since he was pinching my nose and holding my head back. Eric must be an expert with this, being the star player on both the football and the basketball teams and having two younger siblings. Small town.

"Um, I have more tissues in the car. Did you come with your mom?"

"No, I walked," I replied, the "no" sounding weird.

"I'll give you a ride home."

Eric picked me up, bridal style. "Is this necessary?"

"Keep your head back!" He said, using a hand to push my forehead down. It's amazing the things jocks can do that normal people can't. I was just balancing on his leg and a single arm. I don't know how I didn't fall.

My cheeks turned pink as Eric carried me out the bathroom and past some people. Everyone knows me, and I guess they all know I'm clumsy, but it's still odd. I'm the school tutor, important for the success of a few of their children. I still have a reputation to manage.

I didn't see Simon's mother on the way out. I'm partially thankful. I still have a hard time facing her, even though Simon has been gone for a month. But one person makes it hurt more than she does.

Michelle. I know she liked Simon. Her and me both. The pain is evident on her face everywhere she goes. School. Her own home. My house. The store. She was even too torn to come today. Michelle told me to deliver a box for her. I wasn't allowed to look inside, and I go by my word.