Chapter Seven

Michelle seemed relieved when we pulled into my driveway and my parents weren't home yet. She still didn't speak as she sped upstairs to my bathroom to splash her face with cold water.

I began preparing dinner. As I cut up some cucumber for later, the landline rang.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Ryleigh? You weren't answering your cell."

My breath hitched. It's Peter.

"Listen, Michelle talked to me last night. She said that you're godmother."

"Yeah, isn't it exciting?" My voice doesn't sound excited.

"I'm godfather. Just thought you'd like to know."

"Is there some reason you're calling?"

"Yeah, I was getting to that. Do you think, maybe, you could come over sometime? Just you, no Eric. And don't worry, I won't try anything. I just want, I don't know, some company? Maybe we can watch the Star Trek marathon together?"

"I'd like that. Do you want me to bring popcorn?"

"Sure. I let Simon's mom know you're coming."

"See you Saturday."

The call ended. I set the phone back on it's little station and resumed cutting cucumber.

"Who was that?" Michelle asks as she walks down the staircase.

"Mom's work friend. Wants to know if I'd come babysit Saturday." Lies. Stupid lies, Ryleigh.

"Oh, fun. I should probably get a job or something, shouldn't I?"

"Why?" I ask, my thoughts absorbed in wiping the knife on the towel. One knife injury and you're set for life.

"To support this!" Michelle presses her hands just below her stomach, signalling the baby growing inside her.

"Oh, right." I turn my thumb over, glancing at the still-fresh white scar tissue where the cut used to be.

I thought of Peter, losing his best friend. I don't know what I'd do if Michelle died and it were the other way around. If I was stuck in her basement and the only person who knew I was there was her mother. It must take a lot to keep sane.

"What are you thinking about?" I didn't notice when she first came down, but Michelle had changed into a pair of my sweatpants and pulled her straight, dark brown hair out of her bun, where it now resides on her shoulders.

"My sweats," I reply, sarcastically.

"Oh yeah, can I borrow these? Thanks!"

I roll my eyes and laugh. It's like we're completely back to normal.

"Hi, Michelle! Are you joining us for family game night?" My mom says, coming inside.

"Oh, my day was great, thank you," I mock. She smiles and kisses my cheek, then does the same to Michelle. Basically sisters.

Shortly later, my dad comes home. He holds in his hand an unopened box of, drum roll please, Monopoly!

"Dad, don't we already have Monopoly?" I taunt.

"Not this one. It's the extended version, games typically lasting ten hours or more." We all groan in that family way. When you really love each other but show emotions for fun.

"Dinner first, though," I interject, placing everything on the table. We all sit down and eat, which ends up going by really quickly. Everyone, despite the tortuous length, is excited for the game.