Chapter Seventeen

Peter and I stand outside the door, arms wrapped around each other, listening to Eric read stories to the unborn twins. Due to the height difference, Peter comfortably rests his chin on my head and his hands around my back. The hallway is warm, leaving me glad I chose to put on shorts this morning.

I sigh. A year ago, it was Michelle, Simon, and me. Now, there's six of us, including the twins. Double the people, no less love for each. I decided to call my mom to let her know we're all safe, and to inform the other parents that we're alright, since I don't think Eric and Michelle want to stop to call them now.

"Ryleigh! How's the trip so far?" Peter pulls his chin off of my head and leans back to look into my eyes.

"Oh, it's amazing. When we get back, there's someone I'd like you to meet," I say, glancing at Peter. He shakes his head softly.

"Who might that be?"

Thinking quickly, I tell her it's a U of M student, and not to tell Eric I told her. I make a mental note to ask Peter when he's going to reveal himself.

After I hang up, I mention it. "I can't tell my parents I have a boyfriend but they can't meet him ever. Someday you're going to have to come out."

He pauses, staring up at the ceiling for a moment. "I know, and I owe you that much. But in my defense, we're technically not even dating yet," Peter replies, his voice a low, soft tone.

"Right. We can go on a date, then you can meet my parents. How does that sound?"

"Lee, I'll let you know when I'm ready. In the meantime, we haven't even left to go home yet. Since I'm not mad at you for taking your time, you can't be mad at me for taking mine."

"That's true," I say, rolling my eyes. "But I can be mad at you for leaving. Wait, no, I can't. If you hadn't, who knows how long I would have taken, then."

"Exactly. So, we're both happy, we're both healthy, and soon, we'll be home. Someday, I'll properly take you out, and I'll meet your parents." I smile.

"When do I meet yours?" He sighs, steps back, and takes my hands in his.

"I don't know. If that's something you really want to do, I can ask my grandma how to get into contact with them."

"Thank you," I reply. Truth be told, the main reason I want to meet Peter's parents is so he can see them again. I believe they miss him and their relationship wasn't as rough as he makes it out to be. I'm sure they tried to reach out to him, and maybe they were looking in the wrong places.

A few minutes later, Eric slowly opens the door and walks out. He puts a finger to his lips, signaling for us to be quiet. "She's sleeping," he whispers. The three of us move to the living room so we don't disturb Michelle.

"We can leave tomorrow morning," I say, the first person to speak when we all sit down on the loveseat in front of the window. None of us sat on the sofa, since it was covered in folded clothes and sheets. Peter is squashed in the middle, his shoulders pressed between mine and Eric's, so he slings an arm across me.

"Not quite. It's Monday, right? Tomorrow I have to take my grandma to a doctor's appointment. She can't drive home from it," Peter replies.

"When will it be over with?"

"Three in the afternoon." I resist the urge to groan, but instead lean into Peter's body, because it's sweet that he cares so much about following through on his promises.

"Maybe we can get a hotel. After all, the three of us don't have to be at school until Friday. Maybe we can even do some sightseeing," I suggest. Both boys nod in agreement.