THE SETUP

CONTINUED...

"This might be weird but agree sa lalaking engot nato and plus hindi pa ako ready tito" Alden looks at Maine weirdly, shocked that this woman in front of him doesn't seem to understand how lucky she would be to bound to him.

Mr Fulkerson raise the tone of his voice "Hindi niyo man maintindihan ngayon, but this is important in order to grow both of our companies. Just imagine the publicity we would get; Faulkerson group would expand our hotels and investments into western countries and Mendoza cooperation can cement their legacy here in Asia. With both companies united, it'll be revolutionary" He sighed and looked at Alden with a disappointed look warning him to behave and calm down. Maine always knew both her dad and her Tito were ambitious men, willing to do anything to always reach the top. She's admired that about them, but now she sees the side of business that's so cruel and unforgiving.

"Maine hija, your dad will arrive tomorrow in the Philippines. Therefore, I'm asking both of you to go to the meeting bukas para maintindihan niyo fully". His explanation did not bring any sort of comfort to both adults.

Alden looked puzzled after hearing the announcement that he is marrying a stranger. Let alone the idea of marriage itself has never cross Alden's future. Alden's flings are easily manipulated, and Maine was not what he usually goes for, she had something in her which made Alden's knees tremble.

Alden and Maine gave each other the up and down look to find even one flaw in each other. Alden proceeds to look at down at her shoes and gradually to her legs and torso. Yet, when he reached and looked at her chest he was stopped when Maine said, "keep your eyes up here", Alden blushed and scratched the back of his head and for the first time he felt embarrassed.

Alden is a confident man with high standards, and he always believe that nothing last forever, not even love. Despite his poor choice of women to bed, he only saw them for what they were, an easy lay. He didn't like and believe in commitment. Alden was careful when it came to love. He has never felt love towards girls he had intimacy with, it was more driven by lust and his high sex drive which resulted in him preferring one night stands practically every now and then. His prior hardships in love has turned this man stone cold.

Maine on the other hand, is a person who loves the idea of love. She hopes for a relationship that is built around love, trust, and commitment. One would say she's the opposite of Alden. Having committed to 3 relationships, Maine was always left broken by the men she loved and trusted. It has moulded her into a completely different person, one who is untrusting and doubtful. She cannot imagine herself submissive to a man who cannot promise her undying loyalty, let alone be in matrimony with a complete asshole of a stranger.

Silence fills the room for couple of minutes. Alden sighed heavily and stood up and decided to leave the office in a rude manner, goodbyes thrown out the window. Maine decided to not be rude in front of her Tito, she bids him goodbye and promise to attend the meeting. She gathered her things and left a few minutes after Alden, ensuring their paths don't cross until tomorrow.

NEXT DAY

Maine was in her bed tucked in looking at the ceiling deep in her thoughts about what happened yesterday. She blankly looked at the ceiling with a grin on her face remembering his scent as she felt that she was in a middle of a field with thousands of lavenders. Every time she thinks about his scent and smile, her heart clenches slightly. How weird she thought to herself. How can a man so arrogant and rude have this effect on her.

She took the initiative to find some information about Alden, her possible new husband. In one quick motion, she took her Macbook, placed it on top of her tummy angling her knees for comfort while she lays down on her bed. After about a good half an hour of searching Alden up on Google, she was left with bunk load of information about the mysterious guy.