Chapter 45- In The End

The night before Jess's funeral, Andy and Juliet were having a particularly bad fight. Juliet insisted that Abbie go to a therapist, since it was "just obvious that the poor girl needs help." Andy knew that a stranger would only make her uncomfortable, but she kept on insisting.

That's when Abbie got an idea. She had been enough trouble for all of them, and they had done more than enough for her. She wasn't going to be a burden on them anymore. It was then, while they thought she was sleeping, that she looked around her room for a scrap piece of paper and a pen. It took her a couple minutes to figure out what would be appropriate. In the end, she decided that the best thing to do was tell him the truth. Like a great writer once had said, she left it entirely up to the ink to tell the story, and wrote what her fingers decided would be right.

As she wrote the note, she couldn't help but think about what he'd think. She made sure not to tell him where she was going or what she was going to do for the rest of her life, but she had a feeling she wouldn't have to. She took her time placing it carefully on her perfectly made bed, in between the Andy and Jinxx plushies that she'd slept with every night since she'd killed Brad. She still preferred that name over Gus. She gave them one last nod, then slipped out of her favorite Black Veil Brides shirt and black skinny jeans, and laid them out on the bed. She then proceeded to the drawer she never thought she'd have to open and carefully put on the familiar pink tattered shirt that smelled like blood and memories, and her jean shorts that were in a similar condition. She was surprised they still fit her, since she had gained a lot of weight since she'd been back from the facility. She was almost the size of a normal thirteen year old. She ran her hand over one of the slits and sighed, knowing that she'd probably never have the chance to be in a fresh pair of clothes again. She didn't want to take what wasn't her's, and she didn't feel like she owned any of the clothes they had bought for her.

She carefully opened her door and stepped out into the hallway. She could hear Juliet and Andy fighting in their room. She doubted they'd be able to hear her, but she was sure to stay quiet as a mouse. She slowly opened the apartment door and tiptoed out, closing the door so quietly she had to double check it was shut. She looked at Ashley's apartment and smiled.

As she walked out of the building, she turned to look at the familiar door one last time.

"Good bye," she whispered, walking down the late night Californian road. She took her time walking, knowing she'd have plenty of time until they woke up and found the note. Besides, it wouldn't be safe for her to shape shift into a horse for miles. Walking alone at night gave her enough time to think. Everything played out in her head just how she knew it would happen.

She'd insist on waiting to call the police. He'd understand where she went and know she needed to go, but would wish she hadn't anyway. He'd call to police, to make it seem like there was a chance in getting her back, but he knew they'd never find her. Months would pass, and the thought of her being found faded away until she was completely forgotten. They'd never forget her though, their little sister. The memory of The Horse Girl would live on in their hearts long after their band was over and done with and they were on their deathbeds. Andy'd never explain to them where she went, nor that she couldn't, or rather, shouldn't, be found, but they'd eventually understand.

After almost a month of traveling with little food and water, she passed the old Army camp and stopped, remembering where everything was and what had happened in what spot. She stood in the same spot she had when she first met Angela, Steph, and Michele. She stood in the spot where Andy had introduced her to the entire army and smiled, this time looking more confident and reassuring than she had the first time. She had the first good night's sleep since she found out about Jess in the same spot she and Andy had shared a bed, and felt comforted, like she was in his arms.

It seemed like it had been years since she'd left by the time she arrived to her destination. She knocked on the door to her old home, or rather, on the trunk of a tree, and took a deep breath. A familiar-looking boy opened the door. His hair was a glowing golden yellow and his eyes were so blue even Andy's couldn't have matched them. He was older than she remembered, though she figured he would be since it had been over a year since she'd seen him. She smiled shyly at the shocked expression that met her presence.

"Abbie?"