Chapter 29- The Unicorn

Around noon, Abbie felt the trailer screech to a stop. She didn’t even bother looking out the window. Where she was didn’t matter to her, only that she’d be able to survive. She was surprised that the horse inside her hadn’t taken over like it usually did when she was scared out of her mind. Her natural instincts took over to protect her, but it hadn’t yet. It worried Abbie. What if she spent too much time in civilization? What if having to be a human for such a long time killed her natural instincts? That worried her. Though it usually did more harm than good, it seemed like now was one of the only times she could actually use it to her advantage. She even wanted it to take over, so she and Angela could have their freedom again. The door of the trailer opened at the same time as the side door did, causing Abbie to flinch slightly at the unexpected soldier whose rough hands untied her lead rope with one swift motion and pushed her out of the trailer easily. He had on a camouflaged uniform with an American flag on his right arm. At the same time, Angela’s cage was opened and she was pulled out by a man wearing a similar uniform. Abbie was led in the opposite direction from Angela. She snorted and reared up, fighting to stay with her friend. She broke free of the soldier’s hold and ran towards her, but several other soldiers quickly raced over to her and threw thick ropes over her neck and legs, tripping her and making her slam into the ground. She watched helplessly as her friend was dragged away.

“Get up!” one of the soldiers yelled, kicking the horse’s ribs. She neighed and scrambled to her hooves. She looked down at the soldier, teeth bared and ears back. She wasn’t just going to sit by quietly and let them take away her only friend left. “Cute,” he smirked, taking her lead rope and pulling her forward. She tried to resist, but other soldiers tugged on the ropes around her neck, forcing her forward.

They eventually managed to bring the mare to a small barn. Inside, undersized, cramped stalls lined either side. Most of them were empty. Abbie was led into a stall next to a beautiful, snow white mare with a short, shimmering white mane and a long, pearly horn coming out of her forehead. Abbie snorted and shook out her own short mane, which was starting to grow back rather quickly. The various ropes were slipped over her head and her lead rope was unclipped, and the men slammed the door shut. Abbie didn’t see the point, since the back of the stall was wide open, but at least she had some freedom to go in or out as she pleased.

“Hi,” the unicorn’s velvety voice traveled through the wall dividing their stalls.

“Hi,” Abbie replied.

“I’m Iredessa,” the voice added.

“Abbie.”

“How about we head outside so we I can properly introduce myself?”

“Sure!” Abbie trotted out of the cramped stall, happy to stretch her legs. The powerful unicorn towered over her.

“Hi!” she exclaimed, trotting around the bay mare.

“Hi,” Abbie replied uneasily, eyeing the stranger.

“Sorry, it’s just that you’re the only other equine here,” Iredessa admitted, stopping in front of Abbie.

“It’s ok. I’m not really used to being around other horses, either, considering L.A. isn’t exactly horse country.” The unicorn nodded.

“There were plenty of others in the forest that I came from, but I guess they went to other camps.”

“More camps?” Abbie asked thoughtfully.

“Oh yeah, all over the place. You didn’t think just one could hold all of the magical creatures, aliens, and mutations, did you?” Iredessa giggled. Abbie tilted her head and furrowed her brow. There were more? A loud bark caught her attention. The two equines pricked their ears and looked in the direction of the sound. In an enclosure dangerously close to their own, four short-haired wolves growled through the fence.

“Newcomer,” one remarked in a rather familiar voice. Abbie froze, unsure of what she should do.

“Don’t mind Jared. Him and his brothers are always trying to intimidate me, er, us now, I guess. They’re all bark,” Iredessa explained.

“Jared?” Abbie asked, taking a closer look at the wolves.

“Yeah. Jared, Josh, Nick, and Jess.” The last name caught her ear.

“Jess!” Abbie exclaimed, racing to the wooden fence that separated the two enclosures. The smallest wolf lowered his head, ears down. Abbie recognized his eyes instantly.

“Hi, Abbie,” he whispered, “looks like they got you, too.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Abbie’s brown eyes were full of hurt.

“Because I knew you were afraid of wolves, and I didn’t want you to be afraid of me,” he whispered, staring at the sandy terrain.

“Did you know about Angela?” she asked. He looked up at her and furrowed his brow.

“What about her? Is she here?” Abbie nodded and told him as well as his brothers the whole story.

“Damn. I guess they’ve got everybody now,” Jared sighed. Abbie nodded and sighed. How many other secrets were kept from her? It seemed like everything she knew about the Black Army was a lie. What if the rest of the guys were something else too? What if they were captured and sent off to a camp as well? Iredessa walked over to them.

“More than everyone. I just heard we’re getting a shipment of Centaurs,” she said. Abbie gasped and looked at Iredessa in disbelief. First Unicorns, now Centaurs? Centaurs tend to be strong willed and hard-headed. The thought of them getting kidnapped and brought to such a horrible place seemed unreal. They must truly have gotten everyone.

“Centaurs… I’m assuming they’ll be staying here?” Abbie asked. Iredessa nodded.

“They’re prepping the rest of the stalls, and we’re not even getting the whole herd.”

“We aren’t?”

“Just the men.” Jess growled. Iredessa glanced at Jess, then continued, “They took the women and children to a different camp. Apparently this camp is for the worst of the worst.”

“That would explain why Black Army soldiers are here. We defeated F.E.A.R…. The first time,” Jess said.

“You didn’t do a very great job at it,” Iredessa muttered, heading back to her stall. Jared, Nick, and Josh started heading back to a cave on the other side of their enclosure.

“Better get going. You don’t want to get caught out at night by the guards. I know it won’t matter much to you since, you know, but they’ll shoot you in the leg and leave you there,” Jess said, his eyes deep with sincerity. Abbie nodded and trotted back to her stall. She glanced back at him one more time, then walked into the cramped wooden box. As soon as she got inside, the back doors to all the stalls slammed shut.

“Try to get some sleep, kid. You know as well as I do that Centaurs are hard too handle, especially in a situation like this,” Iredessa said through the thin wall. Abbie nodded even though she wouldn’t have been able to see her.

“Good night, Iredessa.”

“G’night, Abbie.”