15

"Make a stream of water rise up from the ground. Use the earth to make a large hole in the ground, then use the water to cause a jet of water to come up from the ground. I know you can do it, Adara." Christina said. "I can see that greedy, power hungry look in your eyes. But you already have immense amounts of power. Now make the water come out."

"Alright." I looked at the ground below me, imagining invisible shovels digging into the hard ground. I wanted to make Christina proud of me, so that she'd teach me more, and so that I could easily murder Moone. She would teach me more, and I knew that much. But I would have to show her that I was worth her time and effort, and to do that, I'd have to complete the task that she had asked of me.

I focused harder and harder, but nothing was working. It wasn't working. I couldn't fail Christina. I needed the power so that I could make Moone pay. I wanted Moone dead, and the thought of him bleeding to death filled me with giddy, excited thoughts. Call me demented, call me insane, but I took joy in those thoughts.

My giddy thoughts must've sparked something inside of me, because the ground in front of me began to cave in, making a huge hole. Then, the growth of the hole stopped. Water didn't come, though. It seemed that my anger wasn't the all powerful being that I needed it to be - yet, at least. I looked to Christina, who was watching me with an approving look.

"Go on. You're halfway there. I want this done before lunch, which means that you have about an hour. And before you ask, time tends to fly when one is truly focused on something."

I nodded in acknowledgement, the looked back at the gaping whole. I remembered how I had made the three drops of water fall into my palm. The task at hand was just like the previous task, only larger. And if I had mastered making that hole so quickly, them who said I couldn't do the same for the water? Even if it took over an hour, I wasn't going to stop until I reached my goal. I'd miss lunch if I had to, because I was going to do it and I was going to become powerful to the point where I was like a god.

I looked at Christina again, then back at the hole, which, if somebody's foot got stuck in it, there would be no doubt that their ankle would be injured severely. And it would look amazing when the water came out of it. Of course, it was my own fault that I couldn't get the water to come out. All I needed was practice to harness all the strength and power bubbling up inside of me.

I thought of lakes and rivers and streams. I thought of waterfalls and floods and the beach. I thought of a geyser, which was similar to what I was trying to do. Them, I opened my eyes and looked at the hole, trying to get the water to come out. I tried to picture an overlaying image, like a second layer of Photoshop; transparency set at 50. I wanted the water to come flowing quickly.

Minutes later, it did. It came on quickly, and I didn't expect it. The three or four minutes spent focused on the one spot had left me bored and thinking that it'd take hours. But the water rose up, spraying small specks into my face. My startledness - was that even a word? - caused the water to flare up even more, thus getting more water onto my face. I spat it out, feeling proud that I had done it. When I looked at Christina, she looked proud. In fact, she was beaming.

"That was absolutely wonderful. You're like the daughter I never had. I am so glad that our clan found you before Moone and his group of wild, uncivilized beasts made your live terrible. Here, you will get your revenge. And I am proud of you right now, Adara."

"Thanks." I replied. "I mean, it was hard, I admit, but, I mean, I did it."

"Now, I want you to turn off the water, and revert everything to how it was. That should be easy, as the reversal is almost always the easiest part of the job. Do it, and then we can go to lunch early. I heard that some of our clan brought in several deer, and they're being cooked as we speak. Cooked deer is absolutely delicious. Have you ever tried some?"

"Uhm... No," I replied.

"You are missing out. I'll make sure that you get some. Now, call back the water. It is simple. Just call the water back to where it came from. The return trip is always one of extreme ease, because you know what's going to happen."

I nodded, then looked at the large, gushing pillar of water. I thought of the water sources again, and I imagined the water going back. Maybe that would work. And it did, sending the water back where it came from. Filling in the ground, however, was harder. Maybe it was because I had used anger instead of practice, but it was harder. I tried though, imagining dirt rising up from the ground and filling the hole.

It didn't work the first or second try. Breathing in, I muttered some old saying under my breath. "Three time's the charm." I had said before trying again. I used a similar technique to what I had used for the water, as that had gone well. The dirt began to rise up, as if bucketfuls of dirt were being poured back in. When the hole was entirely filled, I breathed a sigh of relief, wiping my forehead.

"That was absolutely excellent, Adara. Now, it is time for lunch. Follow me."