Chapter 18: Sleektalon

I am here...I am not...I am here...

    Her mind was confused. She saw a flashback of herself in her nest. It was a bright, blue day, with plenty of prey running about. But in her heart, she knew that she was really not here. It was just so real! The feeling, the emotion...and then darkness.

    A silver shadow appeared to her right, and moved closer to her. It was the shadow of a Swallow-tailed Kite, and he was holding something sharp in his talons.

    "Canyon..."

    The voice seemed to come from everywhere, and not from a direct source. The voice was whispy, and tinged with age. She so wanted to dive bomb away, but her muscles stayed tense, and hard, as if she was paralyzed - in flight.

    "I've been waiting for you..." And the blade slashed down onto her.

    The darkness jerked from her vision, and she flung out her wings, gasping. Pyretalon seemed to be experiencing the same trance, and soon, everyone had awoken from whatever trance they were in. Alabastorm surveyed them on without emotion. He seemed content to stay there, and seemed to not realize what this class was experiencing.

    Up on the dark, mahogany wood branch, perched a slim bird. He was a Swallow-tailed Kite, that was in the color silver. He looked like to be a Water-X, but his feathers crackled with static, so he must be one of the Lightning Phoenixes. His wings had circles of black feathers on the primary ones, and the secondaries had black bands of feathers on them. His talons were finely trimmed, with slim, serrated claws, and his eyes - his eyes were a mysterious dull blue and gray, with a harsh glint in them.

    His voice was monotonous, as if he had no emotion in himself. Only his shouting voice had a tint of anger and sorrow in them. "Hi, Phoenixes. I am Sleektalon, a well respected member in the Phoenix Arts and Elemental Training. I am pleased to be here today to teach at one of the most abundant phoenix academy there is. I will follow you guys to your next class, so I can observe your level of powerfulness." Canyon shuddered when he mentioned that he will be 'observing' them. "Now, as you see, there are eight levels in the phoenix levels." He flung his wings out open, and blue electricity formed to show the eight levels. "Now, before the gong sounds, I will tell you about each and every level..." The rest of the time, he spoke boringly about the different types of levels.

                                                                                                        ~~~

    A week passed, and Sleektalon's doom was coming evermore closer. Canyon was put into the seventh level, because of her 'sheer strength in fire power'. He really did observe them, with a look of curiosity etched into his face, as if he himself never have seen another phoenix and their powers. Probably explained why he sounded so sorrowful and monotonous at times. He probably didn't tell Flame and the Frigatebird his observations yet because of his death deadline. He would probably tell them his observation, and then they'd kill him.

    When the day before his doom was coming, Canyon decided to do something risky.

    She alighted down next to Sleektalon when he was peacefully perching on an oak wood branch. She tried to be as quiet as possible, but he anyway turned around anyway and almost stabbed her with a Thunder Bolt. Luckily, she ducked in time, and his surprise instantly turned to shame.

    "Sorry, Caiman."

    "Canyon, actually."

    He closed his eyes and sighed. "Canyon. "