Chapter 6: The Phoenixes

Canyon bolted upright from a warm, hot nest, almost toppling over the edge. Her claws gripped the wooden nest. Was I yet again another dream that was realistic? It must be part of another important thing. Yet, when she tried to remember it again, it was fading. She didn't even bother to try to remember it now, as it was just a waste of time,energy and effort. What she needed to do now was to find out where she was.

    "You've woken up," Said a familiar deep and slurred voice.

    Canyon twisted around to look where the voice was coming from. And she knew why the voice sounded familiar. King Falcon Claws! It was the king, but not truly him. The same, elegant form was still there, but seemed to be incased in a fiery, flaming form that surfaced every inch of his body. It was horrifying.

    "Do not fear the flames, Canyon," He said, as to seeing her aghast expression. How King Falcon Claws knew her name was a mystery indeed. He was tending coals, with his back once again turned to her. "Tell me what you've come for." He looked at her. "And also...what did you discover? The land, and everything we know is now all icy."

    Canyon racked her brain, trying to remember all of what happened to her lately. "I have no idea. All I remember was this icy roar sound, snow clouds, and dreams of water birds." Canyon said, looking at that unfathomable expression of the king.

    Now that got his attention. His feathery brows shot up, and his eyes blazed a fierce intensity like a firestorms being struck by lightning again. "They have come...again..." His gaze wandered over to the coals, which were now emitting embers. It was creepy, how he was staring at the coals. It was almost as if he could see the future within each one.

    "What?..." Canyon was confused.

    King Falcon Claws looked up at her, eyes locked. "Canyon, do you remember any of your dreams fully?" He said slowly.

    "Why, yes." What a puzzling question to ask.

    "Then we will talk about this matter later. Perhaps you'll know about what I'm talking about at another time..." He shifted his gaze to the entrance. "Come. I will tell you everything that you need to know. Or Flame will..."

    He walked away through the entrance, tail sweeping down along the floor. Canyon followed.

    What blinded her at once was a magnificent room. Tiled floors gave off a pleasant smelling smoke, chandeliers decorated the inside, and there were birds milling around. What mind boggled her the most was that everything was on fire. Fire doors, fire floors, fire glass, and fire birds. It was an amazing sight to behold.

    Every time a plume of flame came her way, though, Canyon immediately hopped out of the way. She was surprised that she wasn't burned to a crisp by now, what with all of the fire going around.

    "Good to see you, Canyon!" A mahogany red phoenix who was fluttering above her said. Seriously, though. Did everyone know her name already? "Yes, I'm a Fire Phoenix. I'm Flame, and you're right now in Firebeak Headquarters, where all of the Fire Phoenixes go."

    "A phoenix...A real live phoenix..." Canyon repeated, still dazzled by all of the fire.

    "And what brings you here?" Flame questioned cheerfully. His voice was like a razzled dazzled fledgling who ate to much night crawlers before night. Before Canyon had a chance to answer, King Falcon Claws went up to Flame, and whispered in his ear. Canyon watched as Flames' expression morphed from jovial to a uncertainty that was serious. As King Falcon Claws stopped whispering, Flame turned to Canyon, and said, "Canyon, let's have a talk."

    Flame turned around, and glided steadily over the tiles, and into a narrow tunnel. Canyon followed, feeling King Falcon Claw's gaze on her as she ascended into the dark tunnel.

                                                                                            ~~~

    King Falcon Claws watched from afar as Canyon disappeared. He was worried. What Canyon had told him troubled him much indeed. He needed to find a resolution to this, and fast. Otherwise, this could lead to the end of the Age of the Phoenixes.