Chapter 3

Francis P.O.V.

  I was surprised when Freddy came through the door instead of Alice. Freddy had his short spiked blond hair  and he brought Arthur and I our plates. It was a bit clumsy, far from graceful like Alice. Alice could carry three plates on each arm and still be more graceful than Freddy.

  "Francis, do you like Alice?" Freddy asked out of turn. I looked at him in shock and confusion.

  "Pardon moi?" I asked since I didn't understand his American terms.

  He sighed and rolled his eyes. "I swear you and Alice were born in the wrong time period." He muttered to himself before reframing his question. "Do you fancy Alice?"

  "Why do you ask this Freddy?" I asked before realization hit.  "You fancy her as well, no?" I said and I knew I had just given him the answer to his question, although he may not of picked up on it.

  Arthur just stayed silent. Even though he made it seem as if he were concentrating on his food I knew his real focus was on the conversation I was having with Freddy. He always did this when someone came to talk to me and he was here.  It's what he would call 'being a pure gentleman', although at the world meetings he was far from that.

  "I may like her - or fancy her as you'd put it - but she doesn't return my feelings. She's got her eye on someone else." Freddy said as if the thought hurt him. He glared at me before turning on his heals and leaving the room, slamming the door on his way out.

  "You do fancy her, don't you? That's why you've kept her alive all these years." Arthur said and I nodded. I couldn't keep it a secret from him anymore. I just hoped that he didn't tell anyone.

  Instead of saying anything I just sat there and looked at my food. Sliced potatoes and asparagus. Just like what Alice had given me when I held the world meeting here when she was eight. That was also the day that I started to fall in love with her. I know it sounded wrong but I hadn't realized my love for her until she was twelve. Even then I had to wait until she was at least seventeen.

  "I- I think I more than fancy her, Arthur. I love her." I said and he looked at me wide eyed. Looking away from his shocked face I started to eat my lukewarm food. It was actually pretty good considering who the cook was. Freddy.

  "You frog! Have you told Alice of this?" He asked and I look up from my plate.

  "Non." I said and out the last slice of potato in my mouth.

  "Well you should because she won't wait forever." With that said I picked up my plate and brought it down to the kitchen along with Arthur's. I was about to walk through the door when I heard Alice's voice.

  "So what did he say? Does he fancy me like you thought?" She asked and I could hear hope in her voice.

  "No, Alice. He told me that he doesn't. He doesn't love you the way you love him. I'm sorry." Freddy said and if I didn't know any better I would say he was telling the truth. But obviously I did since they were talking about me.

  "I guess it was just a false hope I had all these year." Alice said and I could tell she was trying to hold back tears. "Of corse. It would never of worked out anyway. A servant simply can not marry her Lord." She said and I wanted to walk through the door right then only to find I couldn't move. Her words hurt me that much.

  "Alice, I'm sorry." I heard Freddy take a step. My fists clenched and I heard Alice step back. Freddy took another step but once he put his foot down it sounded like he fell. I then walked into the room to see Alice glaring down at the fallen Fredrick.

  "Mon petit Alice, is everything okay?" I asked and she looked up me, shocked. She had tears in her eyes but I knew she wasn't going to let them fall. She went to take a step back and her back pressed against the table.

  "O- Oui Sir." She stuttered. Just looking at her I knew she was trying to be strong. But being strong physically, mentally and emotionally were all different things. Most of the time she had the same strength in all of those but when it comes to heart brake, it throws it off balance.

  "No you aren't. Écouter Alice, Freddy est de vous mentir. Bien sûr, il m'a demandé si je vous crois, mais il ne vous donner la bonne réponse. Je t'aime, Alice." I admitted. I looked down at the ground, my feet suddenly interesting.

(Listen Alice, Freddy is lying to you. Sure he asked me if I fancy you but he's not giving you the right answer. I love you, Alice.)

  "R- Really?" She asked and I nodded.

  "Ever since the first world meeting I held here, when you were eight. But I didn't realize that until you were twelve." I said honestly. A smile grew across her face and she ran towards me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

  "Je t'aime, Francis. I always have and always will." Alice said and I couldn't help as a grin broke across my face. I leant down and kissed her cheek. She smiled and suddenly let go, looking at Freddy who was unconscious on the floor.

  "Don't worry about him, mon petit Alice. I will get someone to bring him to his room." I said and I wrapped my arm around her. She smiled and put her head on my upper arm since she was only up to my collar bone and couldn't reach my shoulder with her head.

  So now my love problem was solved. But that still left me to worry about the other counties. I needed to be ready because I didn't know how much longer it would be before they made their move.