Aid Table

Mary's pov

We sit with Amber for a while and I stay quiet as they talk. We learn Amber is a nurse, she is actually working during warped, and she is single. there is break in the conversation and I cup my hands around Jake's ear.

"Flirt with her," I whisper and Jake laughs.

"What?" Amber asks looking at me.

"Mary just... is funny," Jake says and I frown.

"Fine! Amber, would you say Jake is attractive?" I ask and my mouth is covered by Jake.

"Alright, that's enough," Jake says pulling me onto his lap.

"Yeah, I would say he is," Amber says leaning down and opening something. she leans back up with a coloring book and crayons. I laugh and grab Mr. Teddy from where he was set on the table.

Jake's pov

She said I was attractive! nice!

"So, Jake, want a drink?" Amber asks and I shrug nodding. She tosses one to me and I open it sucking the foam that spills out a bit. then Amber hands Mary a rice crispy teat and a Capri Sun, smiling brightly.

"So, a nurse, huh?" I ask propping my feet lazily on the table.

"Yeah, my parents were doctors, grandma was a nurse, other grandma worked in the army in the infirmary tents, grandpa was a dentist, and other grandpa was a shoe maker," Amber says looking at the ceiling. "you could say I carry a legacy on my shoulders," she shakes her head taking a sip of her beer.

"Have you ever wanted to do something different?" I ask resting the butt of my can on my knee.

"Well, yes, as a kid," she shrugs shifting in her chair trying to get comfy. I nod letting out a mmmhm and taking a sip of my drink.

"How did you get a job with the tats?" I ask.

"Well, I am a good nurse and wear long sleeves," she laughs.

"Nice," I chuckle and look at Mary who is now under the table grabbing at the legs. I lower my foot and press it to her stomach wiggling her softly. she giggle wavily and squeals, grabbing my shoe. I lift my foot back up and she claws at it letting out a rawr! Then she looks at me with glittering eyes and smiles sweetly. I smile back and look back to Amber who is smiling at me.

"what?" I ask.

"Nothing, you're just so good with her," Amber shrugs. I look at Mary sighing at her bandaged scrapes.

"I must not be that good. she got pretty hurt," I frown.

"Kids will fall down, it is inevitable," Amber shrugs.

"I guess," I sigh as Mary yawns pulling her hoodie up and hugging Teddy. setting down my drink I lean down picking her up and set her in my lap. her tiny arms secure around my neck and Teddy is squished between my shoulder and her arm pit.

"Rain storms are the best," Mary says tiredly and I let out a "mmhmm". Amber and I talk for a bit and Mary begins to relax and fall asleep. it would be best if she were in the bus. I could make it from here pretty quick.

"I think I should get Mary to the bus," I say. "I'll be back," I nod to Amber and she smiles nodding back. making my way through the crowd I hold Mary to me. making it to the entrance to the tent I pull up Mary's hood and pressing on her back so she doesn't tip. then I sprint the rain immediately pouring buckets on me. Mary tenses and I push harder going as fast as I can. the bus comes into sight and I feel a second wind. I sprint as fast as I possibly can and make it to the bus. bursting in I feel Mary sigh and relax again. walking her to her bunk I help her into dry clothes and tuck her into mine by her request. I kiss her forehead and run back to the tent.

Now I can adult talk with Amber.