Mary

Jake's pov

I walk up the stairs to the roof where the lady said Mary was. reaching the top Jinxx behind me I open the door and emerge into the cool night. Jinxx and I look around and see Mary sitting on the ledge with head phones in and looking down at the ground. i walk up and tap her on the shoulder awkwardly. She turns and kind of just looks at me. quickly she takes out her head phones and stuffs them in her pockets. I plop down beside her and look out at the city. the sun is barely dipping under the horizon and it is beautiful. I look over at Mary who is looking at the ground way below us.

"So you're sad?" I ask. oh god what is wrong with me?

"You know my thoughts up in this roof change." Mary says, "I use to feel free and thought there was still hope because... look it is beautiful." she points at the scenery. "but... now... all I see is the ground that separates me from that." Mary sighs.

"You think about a lot of sadness for a five year old," I frown.

"Why are you up here?" Mary asks.

"Well, everything is going to be confusing for a bit, but I think you will be happy," I say.

"What?" Mary asks.

"I am adopting you," I say.

"What?" Mary dead pans.

"Yep," I say and look at the scenery again.

"Well, un... I don't know what to saw, but you have LITERALLY met me once," Mary says raising an eye brow.

"Then I will get to know you," I say. "there will be some court days," I laugh.

"You pull some cruel jokes," Mary looks at the ground.

"It isn't a joke," I sigh.

"So is it like a one day thing?" she asks.

"Nope," I say leaning in my palms.

"Hm, just to say I am screaming on the inside it just wouldn't be polite right now," she says and I laugh. "so this is like actually happening?" She looks at me.

"Yeah," I smile.

"You have no idea how to take care of children do you?" she asks.

"No, but I will learn," something hits the back of my head and Jinxx sits next to me.

"Well, usually it takes a while for people to pick children. you know it costs a lot to adopt right?" she says.

"Yeah," I say looking at the city.

I can do this.