Chapter Twenty Seven - The Dress

2 months later : 1 month till the wedding
Katniss POV

"Are you ready babe?" I hear Peeta shout from downstairs.

"Yeah I'll be there in 5 minutes!" I shout back. I put one last clip in my low, messy bun and pull out the front pieces so they frame my face. I fix my eyeliner slightly then grab my bag and make my way down stairs.

Today's the day I get my wedding dress. I've been looking for weeks and I've tried on at least over 20 of them but none have stood out to me.

I was online a couple of days ago and found this incredible, beautiful dress so I'm going to the dress shop uptown to try it on.

We've got most of the things for the wedding. Peeta's got his suit and he's asked Finnick to be his best man. I've not asked Prim and Annie yet but I'm going to today. I've already seen some beautiful brides maids dresses so I think I'll ask them if they want to go tomorrow to see if they like them.

I see Peeta at the bottom of the stairs I get to the bottom and he pulls me into a tight hug, "Have fun today" he whispers in my ear. I pull back from the hug and smile at him, "I will, I mean how could I not? It means I'm one step closer to becoming Mrs Peeta Mellark" I say with a little laugh at the end.

Peeta gives me a short but loving kiss on the lips before I go outside to see Annie and Prim waiting in the car for me.

At the dress shop

I walk up to one of the women in the shop and she gives me a friendly smile, "Hi how can I help you today?" She asks.

"Hi I'm Katniss and I called a couple days ago about coming in and trying on a wedding dress?"

"Oh Katniss Everdeen! We've got everything prepared in the changing room for you, if you'd like to follow me"

I turn to Annie and Prim and give them a nervous smile. Oh god it's actually happening. I'm actually trying on my wedding dress. They give me a reassuring smile each as the girl, leads me into the changing room where I see a white dressing bag and I take a deep breath.

"Okay so I'm Serena and I'll help you today. If the dress feels too big or too small or uncomfortable in any way just tell me and I'll get it sorted for you!" The girl says.

"Okay thank you" I say.

"You're nervous aren't you?" She asks and I nod, "Don't be! You'll be perfectly fine, you're not leaving this shop unless you're happy" she says in a serous tone but I see the smile on her face, making me let out a laugh.

"Ready to see your dress?" Serena asks as she walks over to the dress bag. I nod and I feel the excitement begin to rise.

She opens the bag and I see my dress. It's perfect, it's so beautiful. It has a lace, open back with thick lace straps. A clear top with a sweetheart neck line which is also lace, a white ribbon around the stomach and it's flowey all the way down to the floor.

 A clear top with a sweetheart neck line which is also lace, a white ribbon around the stomach and it's flowey all the way down to the floor

Serena takes it out and helps me into it.

I look in the mirror once we've adjusted it and I can't believe what I see staring back at me in the mirror. The dress fits perfectly. I know this is the dress. I smile at my reflection and I feel my eyes start to tear up, why am I crying? I laugh to myself and wipe my eyes.

"Wow you're going to make a beautiful bride" Serena compliments. I whisper back a thank you and she walks in front of me and opens the changing room curtain. I take step out of it and immediately Annie and Prim gasp, Prim even puts her hand over her mouth.

"That bad huh?" I laugh.

"Oh Katniss you look incredible" Annie says, looking me up and down, "Peeta's so lucky"

"Thank you Annie" I say, the tears threatening my eyes again, I groan and laugh while wiping my eyes. I look over at Prim and see I'm not alone. She has tears running down her cheeks, "I wish I looked like you" she breathes out, making me laugh a little.

"I wish I looked like you Little Duck" I say with a smile and Prim smiles back at me.

"So is this the one?" Annie asks.

I nod, "Yes this is definitely the one" I can't stop smiling it's like my face is stuck like this.

I stand looking at myself in the mirror, making sure everything's great with the dress and when I decide that it's perfect I go back into the changing rooms and change back into my circle skirt and crop top. I check my hairs okay and my makeup and it is so I pick up my bag and walk back out.

I arrange for the dress to be dropped off at the hotel I'll be staying at the night before and where I'll be getting ready in the morning before I go to the wedding ceremony.

"So are you two her bridesmaids?" Serena asks Annie and Prim, they start to shake their heads and Annie it's about to say something before I interrupt her, "Yes" I respond.

They look at me and suddenly I'm being suffocated by their big hug, "OH MY GOD" they both shout, making me laugh.

They pull away and say various things like, "We need to get dresses, we're so excited, this is going to be so much fun!" I nod and I bring up the suggestion of getting the dresses tomorrow and they instantly agree. So that's what we're doing tomorrow.

They ask me if I've got any ideas about their dresses so I pull out my phone and show them the picture I saved. It's a shorter dress and ends around the knee. It has a ribbon around the stomach like mine and lace at the top. It's a pale pink-grey colour and it fits the wedding theme perfectly.

Annie and Prim immediately gush over it and say they love it and it's perfect

Annie and Prim immediately gush over it and say they love it and it's perfect. "Really?" I ask, "because if you don't like it you can pick your own dresses"

"No we love it!"

We walk out the store, thanking Serena for all her help and we get into Annie's car.

When we're about 10 minutes from my house, Annie changes the topic of conversation, "Oh just wait until your hen do, Katniss"

"What?" I ask back.

"You really didn't think we'd forget about your hen do?" Prim asks from the back, "we were going to throw you one anyway but now we can say we're officially your bridesmaids" she says, clapping her hands together.

"Oh god, please be nice!" I say to them, I'm scared of what they'll plan, who knows what'll happen when they two are together, since Prim's sixteen and still in school, she better not expect me to be letting her drink.

Annie laughs at my comment before replying with a smirk, "No promises"