• 35 • TRIS

I watch as the first beams of morning light stream through the slanted shutters. I tilt my head to the side to see the wardrobe cupboard sealed tight. Caleb is probably still asleep.

I sit up, relieved that it's finally morning. It was a rough night on my part because I didn't get a wink of sleep.

I toss the duvet aside and swing my legs over the edge of the bed. I carefully and quietly stand up, allowing minimal creaking from the bed's structure. I look behind me warily. The doors remain shut. I pick up the sweatshirt draped over the back of Caleb's desk chair and pull it over my head. It smells like musty books and canned deodorant. I breathe in the scent of my brother once more before closing my eyes. I remember sitting in his bedroom in our dwelling in Abnegation. I remember the scent fondly as we would wait for my father to get home on his bed as we read the same story over and over again, each day. I smile at the memory.

I slowly and cautiously unlock the bedroom door and creep out, into the hallway. I know I should stay in the room and wait until Caleb wakes up but I can't wait forever. I tiptoe down the hall and guide myself along the walls with my fingertips, allowing them to lead me as they brush against the brick surface. I instantly feel free and less constricted than I did in the room. I felt like a caged animal, being locked away in secrecy.

It's dark in the living room, darker than the hallway, and I try not to fumble over anything that could potentially wake Matt or Caleb up. I find the light switch with careless fingers and flip the switch upwards. The light flickers on and showers the kitchen in a bright, white light. I step onto the cool, black tiles and move slowly towards the window. I draw back the curtains and slide open the glass for fresh air. I breathe in the fresh scent of rain. Damn, I've missed it. Maybe if I can just stand in it once more... I move to open the front door and as soon as my fingers touch the handle, a whirring, loud siren sounds around the small apartment. I cover my ears and let out a yelp. What the hell?!

"CALEB?!" I hear Matt's voice booming from the hall.

He can't see me. What have I done?!

I jump into the kitchen and duck beneath the counter just as Matt enters the open area with a scowl on his face. His hair is tousled from sleep yet his eyes show alertness. He storms towards the front door and taps a spot on the wall. I watch in fascination as a panel is revealed. He enters a passcode before the alarm switches off.

"Caleb?" He asks again, softer this time, the tone of voice I remember Matt possessing.

I tuck my legs against my chest, trying to make myself as small as possible. My heart hammers against my chest. In normal circumstances I would have stood tall, exposing myself to the consequences. But not now. I'm supposed to be dead.

Matt walks into the kitchen warily as if he knows someone is here. He passes by me and circles the kitchen, surveying the area. I don't make a sound.
He stops in front of the counter. He's inches away from me.

I breathe in.

Matt carries on.

I breathe out.

I press the heels of my hands against my eyes and calm my pounding heart. That was too close for comfort. How is Caleb going to explain this to Matt without revealing my presence? He can't say the security system is faulty because the apartment would be swarming with people trying to fix it by morning and if he says it was him, Matt would know he is lying because he was nowhere to be found. That just leaves me and my own stupidity.

I might have blown my cover without anyone having to do it for me.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Authors Note

(I just realised it isn't Thursday... Whoops. So I actually updated early and I edited this later on so... I'm such an idiot because I went to bed at 3am and now I'm confused with life LOL!)

Hi everyone! Here's another chapter, on time-  I might add. I really didn't think I could update this week because I'm going on holiday today but BOOM. Thought you could get rid of me.

Ha... Ha... I'm not that funny so let's move swiftly on.

I went to go watch Allegiant and wow it's amazing. It was different to what I expected but I really liked the changes they made and am excited to see what they're going to do for the final one.

So before I published this part we were at 2.84k reads and now - after four hours - we're at 2.89k... That is unbelievable so thank you to everyone who reads this and comments and I appreciate everything you do! I'm in shock, it's amazingly amazing.

Yeah... I don't know what else to say so...

Have a good weekend ahead and have a super Friday because you deserve it!

Lots of love,
- C
Xxx
:)