Chapter 8- The Slow Recovery

******* The Next Morning ******

I wake up in a different room. I look around and see it's my childhood room I smile but it turns into and frown when I realized everything that's happened. My mom is gone and now I don't have one of the most important people in my life here with me.
I get up and go into the bathroom to cry. I look in the mirror and my reflection is not what it used to be. I throw warm water on my face and breathe. I leave the bathroom and look for my dad and find him in his room. I knock on the wall as he looks up at me and says, "come in." I go over to him and envelope him in a hug. He cries into my shoulders and I do the same. He pulls away and I sit on the bed next to him.
"I just wish I would've been there." He begins to look sad.

"It's ok dad she knows that you wanted to be." I reassure him.

"I don't think I can take this job anymore."

"What?! Dad you can't quit your job because mom died."

"It's not just that, it's that we broke up because of my job and I wasn't there for her when she needed me most because of my job."

"Dad, you were there, you were there as much as you could've been. Her leaving shouldn't be the reason you quit, it should make you work that much harder."

"Yea I guess. I think I should go before I'm too late for work."

"Yea I'll just go too."

"Where are you going?"

"Home."

"You can't just go and be by yourself."

"I need clothes for school tomorrow."

"You don't have to go to school.".

" I know, I just think I'll feel better if I did."

"Well you can get one of the guys to take you to get your things."

"That sounds good."

"Well, I guess I'll be heading out, the job has me coming in today." He kisses my forehead and gets his coat. He goes down stairs and yells "goodbye" to everyone as they yell the same. I get up and go back into my room, stopping at the door. We really had some great times in here. While I remember the times we had someone comes and puts their chin on my shoulder.

"We really did have some great times in here." Kyle says.

"Yep, some of the best days of my life happened in here." I hold his head on my shoulder.

"Hey," Kyle laughed, "remember that time we had that insane pillow fight!"

"Oh yeah and mom and dad tried to stop us but only got hit with the pillows."

"Yea and remember that time you got hurt outside and I had to help you around."

"Yep, mom made us lasagna that night, too."

"Yep she made the best lasagna."

"Yea and Kyle?."

"Yea?"

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"Always being there for me when I needed you and even when I didn't. Losing mom was one of the hardest things I've had to deal with but if I were to lose you, I would be a wreck."

"You know it's the same way for me, without my baby sister I would be nothing."

"I love you and I'm really gonna miss her." I turn around and hug him as I cry into his shoulders. He mumbled soothing words as I cry and cry. Eventually he pulls away and wipes the tears from my eyes and tells me everything will be alright.