Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

            "Psstt. Psssttt!" I keep trying to get Griff's attention in American History, but he won't listen. I'm starting to get very annoyed at him. Like, what senior acts this immature? "PSSST!"

            I few students look over, giving me worried looks while others look excited for another spat over talking during class. The last time I tried to talk in Mrs. Mallory's class, I got stuck with cleaning the bathrooms for detention. Not very fun if I do say so myself.

             "Griffyn Lee Rivers," I whisper sternly, fiercely.

            Finally, he looks over and gives me an exasperated look.

            I take this as my cue to continue. "Look I'm so sorry about Friday night. Carolina told me it was a girl's night. I didn't know anything about her having anyone else over. I left as soon as I could. And I was pissed at Carolina if that's any consolation. Can you please forgive me?"

            Griff snorts and rolls his eyes. "Yeah, it sure sounds like you're mad at Carolina. Wasn't she your ride this morning?"

            I gulp, feeling guilty.

            He smiles bitterly at my hesitation to answer. "That's what I thought."

            He turns to face the front of the classroom again, leaving me to my thoughts.

            I stare at the back of his head for so long, that I'm startled when he turns back to me again. His grey eyes meet mine. "And that's not even what this is about anymore. It's not about Carolina, it's about you and me. And the fact that our friendship may be nearing it's end. And not because of me, but because of you."

            My mouth falls open in shock as he turns back to face the front once again.

            "What the hell was that supposed to mean?" I say, but a little too loudly, as Mrs. Mallory pauses her lesson and narrows her eyes on me.

            The entire class turns to look at me, worry and eagerness mixed into their expressions. Griffyn doesn't even turn around.

            "Ms. Bailey, what did I say about talking in my class?"

            My cheeks heat in anger at her for calling me out and embarrassing me, for Carolina ruining every chance I get to make things up and be friends with Griffyn again, and anger at Griffyn for being so confusing and making me feel things that I shouldn't be feeling for my best friend.

            "I don't know, Mrs. Mallory. Maybe you can remind me in detention, because I'm about to remind you of what I did the last time you called me out."

            I stand up with a scowl on my face and grab my stuff. Then I flip her off and walk out of class, not even looking behind me. I can't stand to see Griffyn's face right now without feeling like crap.

 I can't stand to see Griffyn's face right now without feeling like crap