I grumbled to myself and crossed my arms, not happy about having to wait for a surprise I was starting to regret even letting happen. I didn't snap back though, just waited.

            And here we are now, at the Go-Karting track.

            "Come on," Griff pulls me back to reality, knocking my completely out of my flashback trance that I'd been in. He grabs my hand and practically drags me towards the track. 

            At the little shack near the edge of the fenced Go-Kart track, there's a surfer looking boy with a light blonde man bun looking bored out of his mind. His face pops up from where he'd been resting it as he notices us. "Oh, hey. Thank God. Ever since summer ended and tourists headed back home, this place has been D-E-A-D. Dead."

            Griff offers Surfer Dude a polite smile and buys our way into the track. "How long will we have?"

            "Oh, don't worry about it, dude," Surfer Dude, who's name tag says Cory, says. He unlocks the fence to the track and lets us in. "You stay however long you want, man. My parents run this piece of crap -- oops I don't think I'm supposed to call it a piece of crap in front of buying visitors. Oh well. Anyway, my parents own this track so you can stay as long as you want. It won't matter."

            Griffyn nods, looking amused. "Cool."

            Cory nods even more enthusiastically. "You know how to work these things right?" When we nod, he continues. "Awesome! Now you fellas have gobs of fun. I'm just going to head back to that shack and take a long nap."

            We hesitantly nod and watch in silence as Cory jogs to the shack, hopping over the counter and disappearing from view. Griff and I give each other weird looks before shaking our heads.

            "He does know that that's just an open invitation for anyone to go and rob that cash register in there, right?" I ask, getting into a Go-Kart and buckling.

            Griff does the same while answering me, "He probably doesn't. That guy isn't the brightest from what I've heard."

            I shake my head once more before Griffyn presses a button on the remote that Cory had given him. Apparently that button is for the wooden barriers that need to be lifted before we can race on the track.

            "Hey, Griff?" I ask, glancing to my right where he sits in the Go-Kart next to me.

            "Yeah?" He glances over at me.

            I stare at him in order to distract him and slowly lick my lips. His eyes flicker down to my lips and I smirk. When his eyes come back up and meet mine, I know he's distracted. He's having trouble breathing. I wink at him and rev my engine. "I'm going to beat your ass."

            Then I press on the gas and leave him in the dust.