Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I buried my head. It was fun at the time, but I always had memories that made me want to curl up and cry when I woke up the next morning. My so-called charisma was a false sense of security that shouldn't have existed when I was high.

Now, I was forced to remember me practically leaning against the random man's body whilst telling him we'd have treated him nicely.

The embarrassment wasn't helped by the sour mood that weighed on me. I was exhausted. I'd bitten the side of my tongue so hard that I could barely speak, never mind eat, and every muscle was sore.

Riding a horse today was my worst nightmare, but skipping class wasn't an option.

Parties on a Sunday were a bad idea, but it was the first day everyone had been back, and we'd had to celebrate the start of the year.

My hat dangled at my side as I led my horse into the yard. Nessie nudged my shoulder. She knew how miserable I was.

Later I was going to be told I needed to go to Miss Vaughn's office and I wasn't ready to deal with that, either. How mystery janitor/repairman would know who I was, I didn't know, but I felt sure he'd manage to find out. I groaned mentally.

The regret was intense.

Ruby came to stand beside me, holding her horse, Pepper. She stayed a few paces away, just to be certain. Horses fighting was never a good idea. "How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Like dying."

"I bet." Ruby had said many times she'd been tempted by the drugs, but she was determined to stay away. Performances like this from me the morning after probably helped reaffirm her decision. She was a year younger than us, anyway. In the equestrian we were in classes based on skill rather than age. Ruby excelled, and she was in the most advanced class. "Can't say I'm feeling too great myself."

I perked up a bit. "You looked like you were having fun with someone last night, though. Do you think you'll be seeing him again?"

She shifted her weight, and stroked her horse on the nose. "I doubt it."

"How come? You were very into each other, from what I remember."

"They were just visiting someone, they've gone home today."

"Oh, that's a shame."

The bell rang inside the Academy and I sighed. Taking a deep breath, I slung my foot into the stirrup and pushed myself into the saddle. I hadn't used the mounting block in what felt like an eternity, but today I'd been sorely tempted.

We filed into line, walking into the manege and turning in. There were six in this class, and we'd be doing some jumping today. It was odd that my least favourite teacher taught my favourite lesson.

Mr. Lowton was an old man who was very stuck in his ways. When he taught, we learnt by rote. It was boring, but jumping was still freer than dressage.

None of them were perfect, though. I didn't have the competitive edge for professional riding. This school had squashed that in my first few years here. Being constantly told you're not good enough made me want to quit, rather than pushing myself harder.

Now I was swanning through life with no idea what I wanted to do with it. Partying was more fun. Partying didn't make me go home crying because I was never going to be the best.

My eyes, which had begun to slip close as I waited for Mr. Lowton to arrive, sprang open.

The figure walking towards us definitely wasn't Mr. Lowton.

I wanted to slide off the side of Nessie and let myself be trampled. Mr. Hot and Boring really had turned out to be a Mr.

I was not ready to deal with this. I'd thought I'd maybe see him in Miss Vaughn's office later and that would be it. I hadn't been expecting to see the man every day for the rest of the year.

"I'm Mr. Campbell," he introduced himself, an amused twitch at the corner of his mouth as I shrivelled in my seat. "Mr. Lowton has retired, so I'll be taking your class this year."

It was Mr. Lowton's style to retire in the middle of summer and not tell a single soul. Nessie shifted, and I was forced to sit up straight and pick my reins back up. He explained that we would be starting where he left off, and took a quick register.

I was sure he could hear my absolute mortification in the "yes, Sir," that left my mouth.

During the lesson it was easier to quell my horror. I had to concentrate on the jumping, which I'd barely done over summer. I loved horses, and I loved to ride, but I'd stuck to hacking rather than anything structured.

It required a lot more concentration than normal, but it was still a relatively natural process.

By the end, however, my dread had returned. I was going to have to go and speak to him, and I wasn't in a fit state for it right now. My mood was sour, my embarrassment was high, and my temper was short.

It wasn't ideal, but it was going to have to work.

I hopped off Nessie near the gate where he was stood, rather than going into the yard like the others. He raised an eyebrow at me. "Can I help you?"

My cheeks flamed. He wasn't going to make this easy. "I wanted to apologise, for being rude last night." It was painful to say, but it was the right thing to do. I had been out of line, whether he'd turned out to be my teacher or not.

"Apology accepted."

I blinked. After the first line, I'd expected more resilience than that. "Well, thank you."

"I've still already told the headmistress."

"Yes, I figured."

He paused for a second, and I got a whiff of his cologne. The cedar wood overtones contrasted with the stench of horse that I'd gotten so used to by now, and I breathed deeply.

"Had you taken something last night?"

Snapped from my trance, I was forced to keep a straight, innocent face. I looked him in the eye. "No." He might have been pretty, but I wasn't risking more punishment because of it.

He shifted his weight, then nodded. "Okay."

Once again surprised at how easily he'd dropped the matter, I tightened my hands on the reins. Nessie whinnied in response, ready to get back to her hay. "Well, sorry, again."

We didn't say anything else, and I led Nessie back to her stable. My eyebrows were knitted. It wasn't just mild suspicion that I'd taken something last night. I remembered him staring into my diluted pupils with that air of concern the night before. I pulled out my phone and sent Barney a quick message warning him to make sure all his stuff could withstand a dorm search.

When Nessie was secure, I left the stable. I still had a few hours of academic lessons, and my brain was ready to give in. I snuck a final glance at Mr. Campbell, but he was striding back towards St. George's main building, so it was only his toned bum and mop of black hair that I was left with.

It was better than nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A new chapter! Thanks everyone who voted on the first one.