"I do not jest!" he chuckles, "Officer Gordon is an admirable man, and I think that as you get to know each other better..."

He gives me a mischievous smile, and I shake my head, although I can't help but smile as well.

Just then, another police officer taps me on the shoulder, "Officer K.? Telegram."

The officer hands me a small rolled up slip of paper, before quickly heading off. I discreetly turn away from Ed, before unrolling the telegram.

"Meet me in Gotham Central Park near the Alan Wayne statue at nine tonight. Don't be late. Signed: the Roman," I whisper the telegram to myself.

Glancing up at the clock, I realize I only have a few hours to get to Gotham Central Park. I stuff the telegram into my pocket.

"Tell Captain Essen I need to get off early. Something's come up," I mumble to Ed, already half distracted as I walk away.

Ed sighs as he watches me march down the hall, "Nat..."

    By the time I reach Gotham Central Park, the only thing lighting my way are dim lamp posts that dot my path. The unilluminated grass stretches in dark rows in all directions, and the only sounds come from my footsteps and the distant chatter from the surrounding city. Surveying the silence, I stuff my hands into my winter coat, a concealed dagger on either side.

Easily finding the Alan Wayne statue that serves as the park's centerpiece, I seat myself down at a nearby bench.

A man in a gray trench coat and fedora sits next to me, "A little late for a young woman like you to be roaming the streets at this time of night, don't you think?"

I turn to the man as he lifts up his head, the fedora unmasking his face to reveal Don Falcone. He wears a soft smile, but somehow I know he's not here to exchange pleasantries.

"After you came out of hiding, it was easy to find you," he explains, leaning back in the bench.

I wear an expression of fear, "You're...you're going to kill me."

His smile disappears, "Yes...unless you know where Liza is."

My eyebrows arch downwards, "Liza? She's with you, I just talked to her this morning, at the church near her apartment."

"Which makes you the last person who saw her. And a prime suspect," Falcone reaches into his trench coat.

Before he can, I send one of my knives out, using the end of the blade to smack his hand, throwing the handgun he'd been reaching for out of his grasp.

I freeze when the cold steel of a gun's barrel is pressed to the back of my head.

"Should I kill her, boss?" Victor Zsasz's voice asks.

Regaining his balance, Don Falcone stands, "...no Victor. Put the gun down."

With some surprise, Zsasz hesitates before lowering his gun. I stare in astonishment as Falcone puts his hands behind his back.

"Consider that a peace offering," he grumbles, lowering his eyes, "now tell me where Liza is."

Composing myself, I turn to Falcone, "I can't say for certain where she is. What I can tell you is that Fish Mooney is behind this."

Falcone raises an eyebrow, "Is that true? ...or is that what Cobblepot told you to say?"

I nod my head, "Completely true. Liza was trained by Fish to appeal to you, and she sent me to check up on her."

Falcone's expression becomes dark, the shadows from a nearby street lamp only illuminating the long creases in his face, "I see..."

Have I said the right thing? After all, if I had to choose loyalty between Fish Mooney and Don Falcone, Falcone, being the more powerful player, is the obvious choice.

"Thank you for your honesty. Now tell me, what about Cobblepot? I'd ordered him to come to me when Liza was first kidnapped, but he never showed," Falcone continues, turning his back away from me.

I reply, "Oswald? He's at the GCPD with Don Maroni. Bamonte's was attacked by the Electrocutioner, and the police have him under protective custody until he's found."

Don Falcone turns around, his gentle smile having returned, "You know, the Court is considering offering Cobblepot a position."

I cross my arms. This comes as no surprise to me, Oswald is Don Falcone's trusted ally, and has proved himself useful in the past, "...and?"

"And I need to know where your loyalties lie," he explains, "after all, if Cobblepot is accepted, it could mean a lot for you."

I straighten my posture, "My loyalties are with Oswald."

He chuckles, "A bold statement. But...if say, he were ever to falter, would you remain loyal?"

Before I can open my mouth, Falcone waves me off, "I don't expect an honest answer. I know what you do. Vigilantism...to be honest I don't know if I like the idea. It's bad for business, but...if harnessed correctly-"

"If I do take up the identity of the Trickstress, it won't be for mobsters," I explain, "I'd rather quit."

"Well then, it looks like you may have to."

Don Falcone steps forward, looking me straight in the eye, "I want Cobblepot around, but I also need someone to keep him in check. Can you do that for me?"

I cross my arms, "What's in it for me?"

Zsasz raises his pistol again, and I scrunch my lips. Falcone laughs.

"What you get in return, is Victor not killing you. Or Barbara and Renee."

My eyes light up in surprise, "Barbara and Renee? Doesn't the Court want them alive-"

"Not after the fiasco at Court headquarters. We've been keeping the two dykes sedated through extra additives in their prescription drugs, but because they know of our existence and our location...they're still a threat. If Barbara evers has an...eye-opening revelation about her identity, we'd gladly reaccept her into our family. However, the other one...Renee, is disposable. Her life is completely dependent upon your choice."

I take a deep breath, as my head backs into the cold metal of the barrel of the gun, "So...'keeping Oswald in check'? What would that mean?"

"I think you know what I mean," Falcone nods.

"Underneath his well-mannered persona, Cobblepot has an uncontrollable, obsessive, and somewhat...emotional personality. He can often be rash and unpredictable. That's where you come in. Your job is to keep Cobblepot on a steady stream of vices to satiate his hunger...if you catch my drift," he gives me a smug, knowing smile, with his hands in his coat pockets.

I raise an eyebrow, and crack a grin, "I think I see what you mean. Alright, I'll do as you ask."

"Good, I'm glad we've come to an understanding," Don Falcone reaches forward to shake my hand.

Zsasz lowers his gun away from me, and I meet Falcone to shake hands.