And The Skies Were Clear

-Short Time Skip-

Erza's P.O.V

Day two on the job, and my world's already been turned upside down. Jellal, Meredy, and I had packed up our things and checked out of our rooms. We were in a hurry, in case one of the villagers happened to inform the magic council of Jellal and I's... Situation. Without thinking, I had announced his location. I was too caught up in the moment and my own feelings to consider any outcomes. To be safe, I can't ever let that happen again. I have to keep my mind where it belongs- In the here and now.

We were currently jogging through the streets, twisting and turning down the small pathways, headed for the mountains that lead out of the town. They were still a couple of miles ahead, but getting to the mouth of the mountain passage shouldn't take more than a half an hour. This was going to be a walk in the park. As we began to run, Jellal and I turned to each other and gave a smile, as we both remembered the reason why we had to run in the first place. It was probably one of the best mistakes I've ever made. We returned our eyes to the high-raised horizon ahead, the morning sun shining profusely above head as our feet hit the ground.

Suddenly, dots in the distance began to form on the the mountains ahead. Travelers or Wizards on jobs, most likely, had to pass through this town as well. I bet it's going to be quite awkward, seeing people running out of the town they're beginning to enter. I chuckled at this thought, and I watched as more of the dots appeared. Wow, It must be a pretty big group.

'They better be careful, I hear that fugitive's in town' Jellal said jokingly to me through our telepathy. I gave a laugh, realizing he'd probably been able to hear a lot of the thoughts I've been having since we're more connected emotionally now. 

"What's so funny?" Meredy asked, confused.

"Nothing, just... Thought of a funny joke," I replied with a smirk at Jellal, who winked back without Meredy noticing. 

"A joke? I love jokes! Can you tell me the joke?" Meredy asked cheerily, like a five-year old. 

"Erm- Maybe when we get out of town!" I responded with an awkward smile.

Just then, Jellal stopped running. 

"WAIT!" He shouted at us, who halted a few meters in front of him.

"Why, what is it, Jelly?" Meredy asked casually. I immediately covered my mouth to hide a grin at how I would make fun of him for this for the next ten years. 

He turned red, "M-Meredy I thought I told you not to call me that!"

"I don't remember y-" she started,

"That's not the point, look closely at the mountains," Jellal said sternly, pointing to the figures approaching quickly in large numbers.

"How could we have been so foolish!" I proclaimed with frustration, "That's the magic council!"

"What are we gonna do, Jelly-kun?" Meredy asked.

"MEREDY." Jellal facepalmed.

"Jellal, Meredy. We should assume one of the townspeople informed them of our location. Our next step should clearly be to calculate a tactic to outrun their troops. Seeing that they have just foot soldiers-"

"Uh-" Jellal interrupted, motioning to to the magic mobiles being pulled reluctantly over the mountain trail's narrow and jagged exit. The ignitions were started as elite soldiers were packed into them in sets of four. 

"We have to start moving- NOW!" I yelled, dashing forwards, the others right behind me. 

"Can't you use your Meteor spell, Jellal?" Meredy asked, finally using the name he preferred. Or did he prefer it?

"No, we're too in the open. If they saw my spell, they'd know it's us immediately."

"So in other words, we have to run for our lives?" I inquired, ready to take up a challenge.

"Pretty much!" Meredy giggled as we sprinted in the opposite direction.

"In that case," I replied, "Requipt, Flight Armor!" I shouted, now dressed in cheetah print armor. "Meredy, can you sensory link my armor's magic qualities into your own and Jellal's?"

"I'll try, Erza, but it might effect us differently compared to you. It is your magic, after-all!" She said cheekily.

"We don't have a choice, quick, Meredy!" Jellal interrupted.

"You asked for it!" She called as a pink spell bracelet appeared on their wrists, and a spell band was cast over the center of my armor. 

"To use the flight armor, you have to focus on center of balance and speed, together. You can't have any other concerns, you must clear your mind of miscellaneous thoughts completely." I told them.

"Sounds easy enough," Jellal smiled, looking at the road ahead. There was another exit on the opposite side of town, however it would make our journey a day longer compared to the other route. We have no choice, so it doesn't matter, I suppose. 

"Well, It does take strenuous practice to mas-" I tried saying before Jellal took off at an unremarkable speed. 'I'm gonna kill you!' I shouted through our telepathy. 'Catch up then, will ya? Would much rather be killed by you than Lahar.' He said happily.

Seeing my annoyance, Meredy quickly added, "Don't mind him, he's just used to using speed magic!"

"You're right. Then let's get to it, Meredy!" I said, running full speed forward. I looked behind me to see Meredy struggling to keep up. 'She's never used speed magic,' I remembered, watching her worried expression. I took her hand in mind, increasing the connection between my speed magic and her sensory link. "Thanks!" She chirped happily. "Anything for my comrade." I replied with a smile as we chased after Jellal.