Alone

Today is Thursday, one day before my birthday. Nathan and I have been living in our flats for almost a week.

During the past three days Nathan has been avoiding me and it is getting really old. On Monday, we planned to go catch a film at the cinema, but he never showed up. On Tuesday, to make up for Monday, which he said it was an "accident" and he "forgot about it", we planned to go out for lunch. I waited in my flat for a full hour and a half for him and he never showed. Wednesday, yesterday, he said he would try to make dinner, which he missed.

Tonight, he is going to try dinner again. I won't be surprised if he "forgets" or gets "caught up".

I wonder what is up with him. Is he seeing someone and didn't tell me? Is he trying to get a job already? No, thats not it. I'm sure he would tell me if something was going on, wouldn't he?

I got ready by just throwing on a t-shirt and some shorts. I didn't put on too much make-up because I wouldn't want to waste it if he didn't show. I put my hair up in a ponytail, don't want to use too much effort.

I flopped down on the couch and turned on the telly. I just left on a random show and started to watch it. Around a half an hour of waiting, I fell asleep.

I awoke to a loud pounding sound at the door. I sat up and looked at the time. Its 9 o'clock, who could be at my door now?

I walked over to the door and twisted the knob then pulled the door open a bit revealing Nathan. "What do you want?" I snapped as I opened the door all the way.

"To say I'm sorry for missing tonight," he said looking down.

"You were supposed to be here over two hours ago Nathan!" I yelled. I felt bad about yelling at him but he had "missed" four times now and I was at my wit's end with him.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry okay," he said stepping forward.

"If you didn't want to hang out tonight because you have something better to do, you could've just told me," I said.

"But I didn't, I wouldn't do that to you," he said reaching out for my arm but I pulled it away.

"Yeah? The past four days really show me otherwise," I snapped.

"I know I've missed all of them, but please, let me make it up to you, tomorrow. It's your birthday."

I was unsure if I should trust him to actually come this time. But when I looked in his eyes I could see he was genuinely sorry for missing the past four times and wanted to make it up to me.

"Fine," I groaned.

"Okay," he said with a big smile, "I'm going to start off your birthday right by bringing you to breakfast tomorrow morning, so be ready at eight."

"Okay," I said.

"I won't disappoint you! I promise," he said. He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and ran off to his flat.

I touched the spot on my cheek where he kissed. The tingling feeling from his lips still lingering there. As the sensation went away I closed the door to my flat and went to bed.

The next morning I got up at 7:30 to get ready. I showered, dried my hair then straightened it. I pulled it up into a ponytail. I put a little bit of make-up and put on a blue tank top and a pair of white shorts. I put on a pair of black TOMS then I heard a knock at my door. I grabbed my phone from where it was charging in my kitchen and walked to the door to answer it.

"Morning!" Nathan chirped. How was he this awake at this time in the morning? He always sleeps in late. Well at least he was here and he was even early, it was only 7:50.