I'll Miss You

The summer between our 11th and 12th grade years was the hardest summer I've ever had to endure. And I did it all with out Nathan.

Nathan and I did everything together and spent almost every free minute with each other. So when I heard that Nathan and his family were going on a trip for the whole summer, I was devastated.

"I'm going miss you this summer," I said while we were sitting in my tree house a week before the end of school. We were sprawled out on the old wooden floor studying for a test we had on Wednesday. Nathan just kept his head down and feigned continuing to study. I could tell he was just as unhappy as I was about him having to leave for the whole summer.

I looked over at the memory wall and sighed. So many memories of past summers were on that wall and now I'd have my first summer without Nathan from since before 6th grade.

"Just promise you'll take pictures for the wall," I said turing to look back at Nathan. He was now sitting up and looking me over, like he was studying me.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm just thinking about how much I'm going to miss you, " he said as a woeful expression came over him.

I got up, stepping over the books and papers everywhere, and sat down next to Nathan. He was looking at the old wooden tree house floor. I looked at him for a second then pulled him into a hug. "It'll be okay," I comforted. "I'll be okay." He just looked at me then pulled me into another long hug. I never wanted to let go.

Finally Friday came, the last day of the school year. Since we only had a half day of school, Nathan and I were going to hang out all the rest of the day and have a sleepover that night.

"Hey," I said taking a seat next to him in the auditorium. There was only an hour left of the half school day and we were all called into the auditorium for the headmaster to talk to us.

"Hi," Nathan said giving me a small wave. "You ready for tonight?" He asked.

"Yeah!" I said excitedly. "You ready to be totally shattered in the morning?" He just laughed.

After the last bell, Nathan and I got up and began to walk home. When we got a bit down the road, Nathan turned to me with a cheeky smile and tapping my shoulder said, "You're it!" and dashed off.

"Nathan!" I yelled as he darted up the sidewalk. Quickly giving in, I ran after him. I ran blindly, bounding after the ever-shrinking figure running before me. I didn't even take notice that we had turned off the path a while ago.

I came upon a small opening in a heavily wooded area. There was a small body of water in the opening. I looked over the area and noticed Nathan sitting under the shade of a tree. I walked over, he was panting heavily from the running. I sat down next to him and poked his side and he cringed because it tickled him. "Got you," I said. He looked at me and smiled.

"Wanna jump in?" he asked gesturing towards the lake after we had rested a bit. It didn't even take words for him to jump up and begin running to the water's shore.

I took off my shoes and set my phone over with them. Nathan took off his shirt and shoes and placed his phone with them setting his stuff next to mine. I was glad our school didn't have uniforms that we would have to worry about.

I took Nathan's hand in mine and we ran full force and jumped off the small dock leading into the lake. We entered the cool, refreshing water with a splash. I surfaced as Nathan did. His fringe was plastered to his head and the sunshine made his eyes shine. Suddenly, he splashed me. My reaction made him go into a laughing fit which made it easy for me to get him back. "Haha," I said after splashing him back.