Graduation

"Congratulations to this year's graduating class!" the Dean of Students's voice rang out through the auditorium.

My classmates all round me let out a loud cheer as they stood up and threw off their caps. I too, grabbed the navy cap, lifted it from my head, and threw it to the ceiling, not watching where it landed.

"We did it!" Nathan said turning to me. "We finally graduated!" He pulled me into an enormous bear hug and lifted me from the floor. "We did it!" he yelled again pumping his fist into the air.

Today was our graduation day. After weeks of preparing and after school practices, we finally did it. I had made it through my senior year. Now, I was excited to see what my future would hold.

"Yes Nathan, we did," I said giggling as he set me back down and released me from his firm grasp. We ushered out of the auditorium to find our parents. We found them stood waiting on the sidewalk in front of the school.

"Congratulations sweetheart!" my mum said hugging me. I could tell by her puffy eyes and red cheeks she had been crying.

"My little girl is growing up," my dad whimpered pulling me into a hug.

"Oh Dad, I'll always be your little girl," I said feeling some tears prick my eyes. He released me giving me a kiss on my head and looking at me with a sad smile.

"We love you and are very proud of you," he said smiling a little brighter.

"We'll see you at home," I said as Nathan came over from his mum to me and put his arm around my shoulder. They were going home to get Nathan's and my graduation party ready.

Nathan and I went to the preparation room to hang up our gowns and grab our stuff. I hung my gown up and grabbed my bag from where I had stashed it. After hanging his gown up, Nathan came over to me and we started to walk home. We said goodbye to high school forever and took a step into our unknown future.

When I got to my house, I went upstairs to change out of my fancier dress into a more causal, but still nice looking, outfit. I wasn't one for getting all dressed up. The dress I put on was a simple, plain strapless navy blue day dress with a short-sleeve denim coat that ended around my ribs just above my small brown leather belt. I had on light brown sandals and my hair was straightened and pinned up on the right side. I had on light natural-looking makeup and a touch of light pink lipgloss. I looked at myself in the mirror one last time then made my way downstairs because guests would be arriving soon.

I looked down the stairs from the top and saw Nathan sitting on the second-to-last step on his phone. He heard me and stood up to face me as I made my way down the stairs.

His mouth dropped and his eyes sort-of widened as I walked down to where he was. "You look beautiful," he said looking awestruck. I smiled, feeling a small blush rise to my cheeks.

"You act like you've never seen me in a dress before Sykes," I laughed and a small smile appeared on his face.

I looked at what he was wearing. He had on my favorite shirt to see on him, a dark navy short-sleeve v-neck t-shirt. He had on some dark wash jeans and white high-tops. His fringe was loose across his forehead and a silver dog-tag was around his neck. I couldn't help but feel that slight twisting feeling in my stomach again at the sight of him, but I ignored it and walked into the living room, with Nathan close behind, to meet the guests that were arriving.

-

The fairy lights in my tree house tree shown a bright, light glow upon the small balcony part where I sat with my legs intertwined between the thin rails and my feet hanging freely. The party had been going on for hours, but I could only take so many congratulations' so I came up here where I could have some peace and quiet. I looked out across the party. Everyone was down there. They had all moved outside to the backyard as the sun set.

I could see my mum, rushing around helping and talking to family members and friends. I could see Nathan's mum following close behind her doing the exact same. I saw my dad with his work friends that he had invited. Jess was sat at a table with a few friends of her's drinking punch and doing stuff on their phones. I saw Nathan's and my friends and family scattered around the backyard. There were decorations my mum and Nathan's mum had set up and the tables of food and drinks along with the shining fairy lights, that I had requested, lighting the yard.

I just didn't see him. Where was he? Was he inside? Or was he actually being social for once? I laughed quietly to myself at that thought.

I heard the silent thump of the door in the floor of my tree house opening and the small creak of wooden floorboards beneath someone's feet. I didn't even have to turn around to know it was him.

"What are you doing up here?" he asked taking a seat next to me.

"Oh, you know, thinking." I answered.

"What about?" he asked curiously.

"My future," I started. "Our futures. What we'll being doing in a few years, wether or not I'll go to university, what do I want to do with my life. You know the norm." He let out a small chuckle and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"You know, I'll be happy, as long as I'm with you," I felt that feeling again in the pit of my stomach as I looked up at him. A small blush rose to my cheeks as he smiled and added, "my best friend." My stomach dropped a little and the feeling went away.

"Me too," I said smiling back up at him with a little pain. He pulled me into a hug and started petting my long brown hair.

There was a nice silence that came over us. I was leaning into him while he hugged me, still petting and playing with my hair. I could hear his steady heart beating in his chest as it rose and fell with each breath he took.

"You know I love you right," he said quietly. I immediately pulled away and looked at him. I was a bit shocked at what I'd just heard, "as a best friend," he said answering my confused look.

I let go of the breath I didn't know I was holding, "I love you too," I said as I went back in for the hug. He kissed the top of my hair and played with it some more. I felt safe in his warm embrace with his strong arms around me. I never wanted to leave it. I wanted this moment forever.

I took out my phone and opened up the camera. I took pictures of us hugging and of the both of us just sitting up in my tree house as the party to commemorate the start of our futures continued below us.

A/N - Hey readers! Hope you all liked this part. What do you guys think about it so far? I'd love some feedback in the comments! Thank you all for reading! Vote, comment, share! - Cassie :)