Chapter 19

The days flew by in a strange kind of blur. Angel became docile and quiet. Viktor noticed her change but chose not to make her anymore unhappy.

It was an obvious change nonetheless. She became nothing but obedient and seemed to follow his every order. Her new actions left him with a sour taste in his mouth and an ache in his chest that he refused to identify.

The only time the woman he remembered resurfaced was when he held her. It was then that she lost all her all her inhabitations and let go, becoming the passionate, fiery woman that he knew her as.

The nights did not last long enough to him and the days seemed to last much too long.

"May I go to the library?" Angel asked, bringing him out of his daze.

He met her eyes before nodding, hating how submissive she had become. He had never wanted this but merely to keep her out of harms way.

"Of course, you do not have to ask for permission." He mumbled.

She nodded but moved past him and out of the door.

He watched her go with hooded eyes, his stomach churning.

"You broke her." Alexei said with a matter of fact tone. Viktor looked back at his brother, noticing the scowl on his lips. Alexei was standing walking into the room, his hands tucked into his pockets.

Viktor grumbled, "I did not mean to...I merely did what I felt was right. A cruelty that amounted to kindness."

Alexei tsked before sitting down onto the sofa. "What have you done that was so cruel?"

"I disciplined her."

Alexei's eyes widened and he sat up, his scowl deepening. "Don't tell me you beat the girl. She's a small woman, Viktor."

Viktor sighed, "I did not beat her, I could never bring myself to do that to her. I enjoy her skin too much to ever want to blemish it."

"Then what did you do?"

"I spanked her damn it...and she's been acting that way ever since." He snapped.

Alexei chuckled, "I think she's just being stubborn. She has too strong of a will to be so easily defeated."

Viktor huffed before running a hand through his hair. "Enough about my wife, what did you find?"

Alexei smirked, "What makes you think that I found anything?"

"Alexei..." Viktor aid irritably.

Alexei pulled out a black sac from his pocket. "I found at least four of these in a box in her closest. I'm sure you can guess what's in it."

Viktor stood and took the sac from his brother before opening it and sniffing its contents. His eyes watered and he suddenly felt his stomach churn. He handed the sac back to his brother and held his nose. "Is this the only one you took?"

Alexei nodded, "Yes, I doubt she'll notice one of them is missing."

Viktor sneezed hard and he winced. Whatever was in that sac was very powerful, he hadn't even taken any of it and he already felt a little weak. He sank down onto the sofa.

"We've found our proof then, yes?" Alexei asked with a smug grin on his face.

Viktor nodded. "We'll keep this to ourselves until after dinner. She won't get away with her crimes."

------------------------------

Angel smirked as she moved through the library, headed toward the lounge to meet Estelle. She was convinced that she deserved an award for her acting skills.